Finally did it........

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Malcj

Finally did it........

Post by Malcj »

Yep, I did. Bought a GT750. I believe it's a 76, A model bike, USA import. Very original, with an indicated 11,000 miles on it. This may even be genuine, judging by the rubber parts, many of which have the original Suzuki S on them and are all virtually unworn.
The bike was seized. I hoped it was seized in the bores from standing, but no such luck. It's had a fairly major failure, cause unknown. I haven't got it fully stripped yet but it looks like the needle roller big end on the left hand cylinder has completely disintegrated, casting all sorts of debris around the engine. Looking like a full crank rebuild, new rods and pistons etc.
I'll be looking for recommendations for engineering shops, painters, powder coaters and chromers, preferably in the north west soon, but I want to get the cases separated first and see what I'm dealing with engine wise first.
Any comments or advice gratefully received - I'm a resto virgin, never owned a 2 stroke before, but a very enthusiastic amateur.
BATTS

Re: Finally did it........

Post by BATTS »

For a crank rebuild, relatively local to us (I'm in Chorley too) I would recommend Grampian Motors in Liverpool, they did my rebore whilst I waited and crank ready for collection next day.
http://www.grampianmotors.co.uk/
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
slosher

Post by slosher »

Malcj wrote:, never owned a 2 stroke before, but a very enthusiastic amateur.
Hi Malc
Good luck with the resto,if the spark's in the right place at the right time strokers will run on Diesel :lol: (Don't ask me how i know) :oops:
Mate of mine used Grampian for a "J" model and brilliant service

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Best wishes with the resto Malc. :)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

You won't go far wrong with using Baz from this forum for your engine work. He's rebuilt 5 GT engines for me so far and always get them spot on.
1976 GT550A in black
Malcj

Post by Malcj »

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Once I've got the engine out I'll give Grampian a call and see what needs to done.
Anyone got any recommendations for chroming ? There seem to be plenty of companies offering the service, but who to choose ?
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

There are indeed a lot of Chromers, and ive used a lot of them. But Abrigg Chromers in Leeds have a good name, with reasonable prices and a decent turn around time. They also do vapour blasting and carb ultrasonic cleaning.