Restoring a rusty tank.

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Dbailey

Restoring a rusty tank.

Post by Dbailey »

Hi,
Looking for some guidance on how to remove the rust from inside the tank without removing paint from the outside. I have done two cycles of oxyclean to get rid of most of the fuel varnish residue but the rust remains.

Thanks
Dave Bailey
slosher

Re: Restoring a rusty tank.

Post by slosher »

20161022_195400.jpg
20161021_165515.jpg
Hi Dave
First thing loosen surface rust with dozen or so pebbles inside the tank count them all out :) Fill the tank with £1.30 packet of baking soda and water mix,using an old type battery charger that does not diagnose and a 12v battery attach a clean piece of mild steel plate to the positive and dangle it into the tank making sure it's not touching inside of,insulate the top with wood or plastic and then attach negative to petrol tap switch on and watch it bubble away.Leave it on overnight and the results are amazing there again it depends how severe the rust is ;) See pics attached

Cheers Dave
Attachments
20161002_113455.jpg
20161001_211732.jpg
20161001_211713.jpg
20161001_211701.jpg
Last edited by slosher on Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Nuts and bolts put inside and given a good shake will get a lot out
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Cheers guys... i’ll Give the electrolysis a go....

I have a 12v dc power supply so will give this a go...

Thanks
Dave Bailey
slosher

Post by slosher »

Dbailey wrote:i’ll Give the electrolysis a go....
Thats the bloody word i were looking for :lol: :lol: :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

Citric acid crystals and some water! Go to the pub for two days and return,you will be amazed at the reaction,no talking if your lucky :roll: and on inspection of the tank it will be nice and shiney like new metal,cheap and trouble free way for great results!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

martyducati wrote:Citric acid crystals and some water! Go to the pub for two days and return,you will be amazed at the reaction,no talking if your lucky :roll: and on inspection of the tank it will be nice and shiney like new metal,cheap and trouble free way for great results!
+1
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

canaletto5 wrote:
martyducati wrote:Citric acid crystals and some water! Go to the pub for two days and return,you will be amazed at the reaction,no talking if your lucky :roll: and on inspection of the tank it will be nice and shiney like new metal,cheap and trouble free way for great results!
+1
+2
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

+3
Just a cautionary note dont be surprised if the tank suddenly leaks after being cleaned!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Thanks... given it a good clean... not perfect but much better. Decision now is coat the inside or use as is?

Thanks
Dave Bailey