Next challenge...

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Dbailey

Next challenge...

Post by Dbailey »

So the recommissioning continues....

Tank cleaned... as best as I can at the moment
Petrol tap cleaned and new filters, rubbers etc
Carbs cleaned and floats reset... new drain tubes etc...
Next to check the air filters... currently can’t pull it apart ... the domed nut just spins so needs to be broken off and replaced.

Getting close to running it up but nervous about if the oil system is blocked and bunged up as has everything else has been.
Is there an easy check to make sure the pump and oil lines are all good? I’ve ordered a manual but not arrived yet...

Thanks for the continued support...

Dave Bailey
JOHNJENKS66

Re: Next challenge...

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Hi Dave, I see your living in Portsmouth, have you ever heard of Gary Cobb.He is a long time Kettle enthusiast, living very near to you, and would be only too glad to have a look or advise when needed.

I guess the easiest way of checking that the pump is pushing oil through would be to gently loosen the banjo bolts at the back of the cylinder, and turn the engine over by hand, plugs out would be easiest, and see if oil weeps out from the bolts.You may also see any air bubbles present ( if any ) move along the spider lines.
This will only tell you that the pump is pushing oil through the lines,not that it is working to correct capacity.All I can add is that having owned Kettles for a long time,and listening to other owners, it is very rare that a pump would fail completely.

Anyway good luck with the start up, and I'm sure someone will have a more technical answer to checking the pumps output.

Cheers, John.
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
teazer

Post by teazer »

That's a valid concern. As was just mentioned, it's rare for oil pumps to fail, but lines do get blocked sometimes.

I would remove the pump and check that oil comes out of the feed banjo though gravity. Then take a had oil pump and fill it with oil of a different color to your injection oil and pump it through each of the feed lines in the "octopus" it should be relatively easy to pump oil through all the lines.

At that point, I would be tempted to leave the pump off for a day and see if oil drains down or the lines stay full. It's hardly a comprehensive check but would show up any really leaky check valves. If that's OK, refit the pump and oil tank feed making sure it is not kinked as it passes around the breather tower. Run the bike round the block and all oil lines should now be full of oil from the tank.

BTW, try not to lose the six tiny rubber O rings from the octopus. They often stick to the pump when it's removed and then they fall on the floor and disappear. Better to get 6 new ones of course.

http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/Oilpump.htm
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

John & Teazer... Thanks for the replies.

John no not heard of him however I'll see what I can find out...

I'll digest the instructions and check it over...

I need to buy some two stroke oil so that will be the next decision which oil... For both the oil tank and the gearbox...

Dave Bailey
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Which oil ? Now there's a debate ....the gearbox is fairly easy in the day it was 20/50 oil but nowadays it's 10w/40w ordinary engine oil. I use supermarket stuff but some folks splash the cash and buy specific two stroke gearbox oil. The 2T engine oil again is a personal choice. There is fully synthetic (my choice) semi synthetic which a lot of folks use and finally mineral oil. Each owner usually have a favourite brand and stick to it. One word of caution don't mix the oils use one or the other as mixing causes a reaction similar to clotting known ss glooping which may block the oilways.
Just for info have a look at this vid it may help you.
https://youtu.be/necW4LnXBHM
Last edited by barney01 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Dave, he has a facebook page, under his name if that helps.
I'll try and find out a phone number or address if I can.

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

Dave, Gary's based in Fareham and you couldn't wish to meet a more helpful Guy, I'll PM you his number.
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Thanks Chris... just to confirm.. I’ve just realised that I’ve not mentioned I’m working on a GT380....

Hope I haven’t misled anyone...

Dave Bailey
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

That's ok, the issues are pretty much the same around the stuff you are working on.

On the airbox, if you mean the big chrome plastic button with the penny slot it it, Gently apply pulling apart pressure to both covers while turning the knob anti-clockwise (Might need two folk for this) It should cause the thread to bite and start to unscrew.
Some photos would be great. Interesting to see other bikes and and reduces confusion amongst us chronologically challenged breakers of wind :lol: ;)
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Chris57 wrote:Dave, Gary's based in Fareham and you couldn't wish to meet a more helpful Guy, I'll PM you his number.
Well done Chris, I was going to trawl through a load of paperwork to try and find his contact details, you've saved me some time, Thanks :D