Striker or latch plate on seat ..72J

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Steve72J

Striker or latch plate on seat ..72J

Post by Steve72J »

I've two seats for my 72J, an original and a king/queen built on an original pan.. The king/queen has a striker plate made out of basically a small piece of angle "iron". A rectangular shaped hole to catch the seat latch on one side and two mounting bolt holes on the other. I think it has the wrong striker as only one of mounting holes that line up on the pan has threads. The other threaded hole does not line up to the striker.

The pan has three holes for the striker, one of holes closer too the centerline of the seat. A triangle pattern. The hole closest the front of the seat has no threads in the pan. As if it originally took the open style striker, a bent tab instead of the rectangular hole. On the king/queen only one bolt can be used.

Had a tear repaired this week and while the seat was in the shop I put the original seat on the bike and noticed the striker was missing. Found one on line, ordered it and mounted it finger tight on the seat pan, put it back in the closet.
It only had two holes and both had threads.

Which pan would be considered OEM for the 72 ?
teazer

Re: Striker or latch plate on seat ..72J

Post by teazer »

I am no expert on 72 models but I'm pretty sure that a 72 should have two holes and both should be threaded. My 74, 76 and 75 all had three holes and I am sure I had to add a third hole to an early seat pan I wanted to use on a later bike. Only two are threaded on the later pans
barney01

Re: Striker or latch plate on seat ..72J

Post by barney01 »

If it helps this is the strike plate on my 1972 550 J
Attachments
Looks like i need a sort out under here!
Looks like i need a sort out under here!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE