Head inlet nozzle question on a 72J

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Steve72J

Head inlet nozzle question on a 72J

Post by Steve72J »

So my title says 1973 - the manufacture plate says 8/72 (VIN is GT750-25247). Engine serial number is 25639. Color is the red burgundy.

I You Tubed "1972 GT750" the other night and watched a dozen or so videos of 72's and all but one video shows a 2-bolt plate design mounted on the head intake port of each cylinder. Only one video had the nozzles cast with the heads.

Mine does not have the 2-bolt plates but has a nozzle as part of the head casting to accept a carburetor-to-head boot utilizing two "hose" clamps to affix the carburetor to the head.

Does anyone know about the dating of the nozzle design change ? Was it a mid year change, or a Asian/European/US location issue ?

My parts engine is 200 miles away and has the two bolt design but I think the engine serial number is a later model (but not sure).

Plan on seeing what it'll take to correct the title sometime this year
Steve72J

Re: Head inlet nozzle question on a 72J

Post by Steve72J »

Found the answer here ... https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... de/page-61

"The carburetor mount was bolted to the engine during the early production and then switched to a spigot mount as was used on the 1973 models, starting at frame number 21134. The photo to the right is of the earlier bolted flange mount."
teazer

Post by teazer »

lairdofsmoke

Post by lairdofsmoke »

Hi Steve 72J.
Does your tank etc look anything like this enclosed photo.
Ok this is an 73 USA ONLY colour, but I think some found their way to West Germany.
By the way the double disc was also listed as an optional extra on the J models, also find confusing is your remarks about the barrels carb mounts, having viewed two internet sites listed, makes me think this is either an extraordinary early K model or someone has changed the barrels over for a K set, for whatever reason. Only your piccies will help to confirm one way or the other.
Attachments
Cover of USA  "motor CYCLIST" mag Jan 1973
Cover of USA "motor CYCLIST" mag Jan 1973
On fragrant cloud
Faststeve

Post by Faststeve »

I didn't think any of the k model had bolt on carbs!!
From wot I know they was only on frist 6 months
Of the J model
Steve
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

My bike was a late 71J and had the cast intake stubbs with the rubber adapters on the barrels. I always thought it was only the L, M, A, B bikes that had the bolt on stubbs?
Attachments
F02299A0-2378-422D-9B01-31EFB5C46DD7.jpeg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Faststeve

Post by Faststeve »

Hi paul my J is a low number and it as bolt on
Carbs standard bike. I looked it up when I got it.
I think it's on old Japanese bike site
Steve
Faststeve

Post by Faststeve »

Yes Paul
Your bike is right same as my bike.
That's wot I call bolt on carbs flange
Sure only early J had this
The later JAnd K Had slip on flange
Steve