Sky's restoration begins...

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
stevewharton

Re: Sky's restoration begins...

Post by stevewharton »

Looking good Sky, the pic's of your rebuild take me and probably the vast majority of kettle owners on here, back to when we first acquired ours and were going through the same process. A very rewarding and interesting time for sure, but also as you're finding a frustrating time too, with the niggling, sometimes unnecessary problems caused by incompetent tradespersons, shortage of funds :roll: and the most frustrating part, the l o n g wait until the bikes ready to ride.
Keep smiling, it'll be worth it in the end :D
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Skyguyz

Tidy up...

Post by Skyguyz »

Just doing some more work:

Oli tank. What a mess!

done

Replacing the electrical fasteners. The PO had some twisted wire around a 20 amp blade fuse and scotch tape!

Side cases fitted with new decals and logos

Just waiting on the barrels and head to get back and the engine is done

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Just lovely 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Exciting :)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Skyguyz

Onward...

Post by Skyguyz »

The final bits came back from the chrome shop and they are perfect. Inspected the starter motor, new brushes. Installed the rear fender complete along with the rear grab bar. The very rare OEM plastic water pump drive gear brand new arrived from Japan. Got the carbs back from Baz, (They will work better than best.) Did some work on the forks for seals, polish, etc.
And the Delkavic pipes are here. Should have a rolling chassis soon and the the engine goes in soon after....

So far so good,

Sky

Every one of these on Ebay had cracks...Go figure. This OEM is as rare as hens teeth!

Baz built. No worries here!

*My arms are too tired to do the other one today.

*The bottom of the engine...Too bad it will hidden from view.

barney01

Post by barney01 »

Good progress :D you are getting close. Can't wait to see final pics
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
slosher

Re: Seat done.

Post by slosher »

Skyguyz wrote:Seat done.
Where did you get that cover from Sky it looks spot on having the Suzuki GT logo in the correct position :)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Skyguyz

Re: Seat done.

Post by Skyguyz »

slosher wrote:
Skyguyz wrote:Seat done.
Where did you get that cover from Sky it looks spot on having the Suzuki GT logo in the correct position :)

Cheers Dave
well it came from Japan, "Cruzin Image." Shipping time was not too bad, 2 1/2 weeks. about 26 quid without shipping.

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2018/06/01/ ... i-gt-logo/

Cheers,

Sky
Skyguyz

I have a roller.

Post by Skyguyz »

well its at a point where the bike looks somewhat like a bike, two wheels, etc. The forks have all new seals, etc, the front brakes have all new rebuild bits, the wheels have all new bearings and spokes. New shoes for the rear brake, all new fasteners for the center stand, all new chrome fenders, new trued and skimmed discs up front. There is more I am sure but the wiring is next? The parts vendor sent me the wrong bendy washers for the rear hub, have to wait for them. ordered new emblems for the calipers, still waiting on the cylinders.

Curios note. I posted a while back the internal oil pump gear had some serious half moon stress marks on the teeth. I replaced that and the worm gear on the kick start shaft and thinking the oil pump must have too much resistance. Well I had turned the oil pump shaft with a tiny Philips head screwdriver and it seemed to turn but was difficult. I set it aside and got back to it the other day and it would not turn. Opened it up and found bits of metal inside. To the trash bin it went. (*I never installed it on my engine.) I found a perfectly good used one on Ebay and tested it and it works fine. I can't imagine the horror if I would have tried to stay with the first suspect pump.

More to come,

Sky

Getting the old brake caliper piston out:m "Pop goes the weasel!" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfeRA4f ... e=youtu.be

Rear axle before:

After sanding, re-zinc, polish:

Last edited by Skyguyz on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Very very nice Sky, I’m dribbling as we speak :P
Nowt to do with the bike though it’s an age thing :roll: ask Alan H
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!