Sky's 2nd kettle begins...

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
PaulD738

Re: Sky's 2nd kettle begins...

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:I hear that crabs are easy to get rid of nowadays.
Well I’ve heard you know all about that :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

Post script...

I couldn't wait to see how these carbs work. I wanted to change out some carb boots on my finished / working GT750 so I put the carbs I just rebuilt

on and.....

It started on the first tick, idled perfect and ran through the RPM range without a hitch.
Skyguyz

Sailing right along....

Post by Skyguyz »

It's now a roller. The engine went in fairly easy, carbs tested great, new tires mounted & balanced things going good so far.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Shineee!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Gotta love polished alloy 8-) lovely work!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I love this stage of a build when it starts to look like a bike again 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Looking good Sky, very nice indeed
GT750A
Skyguyz

It's alive!!!

Post by Skyguyz »

It was complete enough to try to start. It actually startled me how quickly it started. it ran perfect. Idles perfect, smooth revs, smokes just right. No leaks, drips errors. it's not uncommon to find some small issue when you first start these rebuilds that were taken down to the crank but there were no issues with the engine. I can't thank Baz enough for the DVD on redoing the carbs.
They look new and work even better. I still have a bit to do; brakes, front and rear, a lot of electrical, (All new wiring harness front to back) some cable issues and whole host of other stuff. But the effort on this was same as before. Most every faster addressed, (Re-zinc) and max effort to keep it OEM. The original pipes came out wonderful. She's a runner!!!

Sky

Second start:
https://youtu.be/T73Fq9bdArg

Front master cylinder done with all new bits.

Took this one out for a rip:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Well done. There's no better feeling after months of slog :D
Skyguyz

Clocks done.

Post by Skyguyz »

Getting close to completion. Clocks done look well sorted. They worked perfect so need to send them off for internal fussing. They were pretty bad looking externally before.

I had an issue with the the gear position indications. Seems that the #3 and the neutral light would not come on. I ran continuity checks, verified resistance, etc, all good. I checked the new LED device I installed, (The OEM one was beyond repair) and all the numbers lit up fine on direct connect. I was determined to find the fault. I dissembled the sender unit attached to the gear drum externally and did a direct jump to each "Sender dot" on the device and they all worked including neutral. When I put the sender unit back on it was a no-go. I found the problem. There are 2, 1/2+ mm springs that push the copper connector to the "Dots" on the sender unit and one was broken in half but was still working enough to send do it's job enough to send signal to some of the LED's......UGH! I replaced both tiny springs and it works perfect. *If you have a gear position light, (Red things) that don't work, you can buy a replacement a LED device on E-bay for less than 5 quid and modify the unit to work on the kettle.

Oh yeah, one more thing. There was a very slight but noticeable leak with the oil from the injection system. After chasing down the usual suspect, (Oil pump gasket, banjo bolt washers, etc) it was a very small crack in the banjo bolt that connects to the oil pump. It would only leak when the bike was running. Drove me crazy finding the issue. Found an OEM part on Flea-bay and the Seller was in my hometown! Problem solved....And I wanted to restore this second Kettle because???

Sky

*Crap banjo bolt with small crack at base of round part:

*One of the OEM springs. super itty bitsy.

The clocks: