GT380B

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
yeadon_m

Re: GT380B

Post by yeadon_m »

Kev,
I'm sure you know this but my Mr Paranoid tendency kicked in: please check the oil pump drive is indeed driving the oil pump. Hate to hear anything went wrong after all your efforts.
I still cannot recall how that small gear stays put if its got a free moving pin through the shaft.
Oddly enough, your post reminded me that very soon after my rebuild in 2007 or 08, I was slowing down and heard a bad noise (screeching) from under that clutch cover, but it never happened again and, having had that cover off at least once to fix the points cam gear, I never saw any 'tell' marks.
Cheers,
Mike
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I had the same thought Mike :shock: I got plenty of proper smoke from all the pipes in initial running but it went clear a bit later. Is that normal for these? It could indicate that the drive cog had disengaged and no 2t oil was getting through. I've only done 4 miles on it so I'm not suicidal yet.Kev
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Well, put back together with heavy duty clutch springs. Made triple sure the oil pump drive was fitted as it should. Engine definitely not making as much noise as it was so sorted (Or so I thought! :( ) Set off to the garage to put some fuel in as I knew it was getting low. How low I soon found out :oops: Ended up pushing the bike the last quarter mile in baking heat. Blast! Fuelled up and started just fine. Clutch felt far to light. Oh no! Can't get it in gear. Looked down to see the inner sprocket cover moving in and out when I operated the clutch handle. Had to walk home, only a mile or so but once again, baking hot. Brought a load of tools back in my car. Took the outer cover off to discover I had only fitted one (should be three) screw and it wasn't man enough with the heavy duty springs! What a female reproductive organ I can be ! Put it right, rode the bike home no trouble. A kindly neighbour gave me a lift to pick up my car. Gordon Bennett, what a day.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Real resourcefulness, there, Kev! sorry you have had a hot day push. I do know the feeling (GT550B Disaster). Mine is still in bits, waiting cylinders and crank (again!).
Mike
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

yeadon_m wrote:Real resourcefulness, there, Kev! sorry you have had a hot day push. I do know the feeling (GT550B Disaster). Mine is still in bits, waiting cylinders and crank (again!).
Mike
Thank the lord I didn't have your experience Mike. :shock: Walking home is a bit better than nearly taking a blue light taxi :lol:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

All fine now. Took her for a run this evening. It's great around here for putting a bike through it's handling paces. It is a lovely bike to ride. Very well balanced and light. Engine is surprisingly nippy, bearing in mind the weight it is carrying :lol: A very nice bike all round. :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

canaletto5 wrote:All fine now. Took her for a run this evening. It's great around here for putting a bike through it's handling paces. It is a lovely bike to ride. Very well balanced and light. Engine is surprisingly nippy, bearing in mind the weight it is carrying :lol: A very nice bike all round. :D
I keep telling people that, but they don't believe me until they get one.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,

You do know that Kev is describing that little gem, the GT380? and yes, they're really nice things (too) :-)

All Suzuki triples rock 8-)

Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Of course, Mike.
But all the smart ones on here know tbat all the air cooled triples are lovely!
The twins are good too!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Of course, Mike.
But all the smart ones on here know tbat all the air cooled triples are lovely!
The twins are good too!
Personally I think the T500 is the best two stroke Suzuki ever made! and a properly set up one will leave any kettle or 550 for dead! There again I am biased as I've had one or two :P
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!