jeffers resto

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
BAZ

Re: jeffers resto

Post by BAZ »

I like the inspection hole in the rear guard for checking tyre tread depth.neat!
wardy

Post by wardy »

I have used PRESTIGE PLATING OF mEXBOROUGH, Yorks, for many years, and have never had a bad job yet.
Not sure of their phone number, but you can "google" them to find it.
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
jeffers

Post by jeffers »

well guys its been a while to this post, a few updates, things have been moving along slowly over the past few months, stripping everything, gathering and squirrelling away parts etc, wheels are done in ss although i now think i would of preferred chrome but hey ho.
forks are all rebuilt, frame powdercoated twice!! once locally, it was an awful job so i sent it to Andy at triple s. fantastic job. clocks arrived back from Gary aka clock doc yesterday and look brilliant. went to pick up my rechroming today and i have to say i'm gutted. the work was done by R S Electroplating in Failsworth Manchester. ITS RUBBISH!!!!! i desperately want to swear and shout but you don't need to hear that. Firstly it was dropped with them in Feb, they were told i was in no great hurry, i just wanted a good job doing. anyway i was told it was all do'able(is that a word?), i spoke to them fairly regularly to\see if it had been started and where it was up to, generally they didn't have a clue what was what,any way last week they said it would be ready today. When i got there to collect it i was speechless, the headlamp bowl when blasted holed in quite a few places on the bottom, instead of ringing and saying its not salvageable they go ahead and chrome then polish it the same goes for the trim, the air box covers are full of pitting, as are the clock bases, in fact its all crap. i was so taken aback and gutted i didn't really raise too much of a stink. 200 smackers down the pan. the money isnt really what bothers me, its the wasted time,

Tomorrow i am off to Nyphos electroplating in crewe to have my exhausts looked at, having spoken to them this morning they seem a lot more professional. will let you know how i get on.

Alas a mans work is never done, gotta go make tea now. will see if i can get some photo's downloaded tonight.

cheers

Geoff
grand tourer

Post by grand tourer »

Hello Geoff
Sorry to hear of your misfortune at the platers an all too familiar one I fear. I have never been a fan of rechrome against NOS parts, NOS parts win hands down every time and there are still plenty of later model parts around its always better to source these first as they are in a way more value for money as even after you have had many years of use from them you still have them to rechrome giving them another life. I have seen many good parts and bikes ruined and reduced to nothing more than expensive scrap as a result of the rechroming process and the sad part of all of this is that you will only realise this after you have parted with your money (usually a large amount) and the deterioration process starts. have a scout around and see what you think particularly on US web and auction sites.I'm not saying all chromers are crap but its always a very big gamble, your big stuff kickstarts brake pedal handlrbars etc you will get away with but even nice examples of these are available both new and used. good luck with your rebuild.
Andy
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Jeffers,
Gutted for and with you mate. I also had a bunch of stuff come out badly years ago and I must say since I too have shelled out for NOS where possible and when not, been very picky about recommendations.
If you view Mike's GT750A Resto link below, you'll see what a super job Bob Cooper made of my pipes. I heartily recommend him as careful, professional and critically, no b**** about timing - he tells you when and it will be so.
Cheers!
Mike
http://www.kettleclinick.com/viewtopic. ... tart=10Bob Cooper
Chrome Restoration Services
38, Coronation Road,
Stafford,
ST16 3JR
(phone 01785-212878
or 02476-364004)
jeffers

Post by jeffers »

as i said, a few photo's of some crap chroming. there is a saying round here that "you can't polish a turd" well now i beg to differ.

All the rest of the chrome work is at Niphos in Crewe, what a good bunch of guys, knowledgeable, courteous and polite. they do the chrome for the Delkavix exhausts we're all waiting for.

clocks back from Gary and look amazing, crank refurbed at S.E.P. in Kegworth along woth a rebore and some other repairs to the barrels. should be picking up tomorrow. then its casings, carb bodies etc off to smethursts in manchester for vapour blasting and some bead polishing.

Paintwork is at KAS race paint and should be returned in a couple of weeks.

thats all for now

cheers

Geoff
Attachments
latest updated shot of the bike.
latest updated shot of the bike.
pressed on too heavily when polishing, all of it has quite deep lines running through it
pressed on too heavily when polishing, all of it has quite deep lines running through it
holes are right around the lower edge
holes are right around the lower edge
isn't the rust meant to disappear during pickling
isn't the rust meant to disappear during pickling
looks like it's been machine gunned
looks like it's been machine gunned
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hmmm...that headlamp bucket is indeed a disgrace. Did they use an angle grinder to polish it? must have been wafer thin to have gone through.
jeffers

Post by jeffers »

update..

yesterday was like christmas, 3 packages delivered, 1st one from phil of this forum, refurbed discs, calipers and master cylinder, he has done a great job and they look as good as new, i will post a picture tonight. secondly a delivery from robinsons, loads of bits including new headlamp bowl and trim, the bits keep me ticking along in the garage. the last package was from KAS Racepaint, my tank, panels and rad grill back. got to say its a lovely job, well chuffed.
Attachments
DSCF7533.jpg
jeffers

Post by jeffers »

Guys

found a small problem with the tank, the emblems will not go on as the holes for the screws are too big, have any of you had this and what is the best way to solve it.

thanks

Geoff
jeffers

Post by jeffers »

ok, the wording was incorrect and sounded a bit daft, the fixing holes in the tank, should they have an insert or something, are the holes threaded, what are the screws meant to screw in to? there doesn't appear to be anything for the screws to bite on. i don't want to wreck the tank or the new paintwork, anyone?