GT550A

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
canaletto5

Re: GT550A

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan H wrote:'Jerknow, that's very similar to the new clothes that BH will be wearing next year.
But with matching side panels - 'cos it's wronger! ;)
20160811_102545.jpg
John (who I bought it off) has a lad who does painting. Not bad for a first tank I reckon.
Arr, very nice! Almost copper. I see the front seam is dished around the section that sits under the front of the fuel flap. There seems to be two versions of the A and B tanks where some have the dished section and some are flat without the dished bit. Richard (Itsnotateapot) noticed it on my B Kettle but the A tank I have doesn't have it. Just an observation :tw
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

canaletto5 wrote:
Alan H wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:Well, a set came up on ebay that had been listed before. Not cheap :( and entailed me having to drive to SWINDON :x the things I do for t'art :lol: :lol:
I never incinerated you was a tart, Kev. T'weren't me! :shock:
Oi! I resemble that remark ! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Didn't know there was a difference in the A & B tanks - mine's a 750B as well. Must get a parts book!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Whoo hoo ! It's alive ! Sorted the points out, sprayed some eazi-start in the carbs and off she went. I'll fuel up the carbs tomorrow for the next steps. Well pleased. :D
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Nearly there..... :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Shiny :D
IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1862.JPG
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

At last got around to fuelling the carbs for a serious go at starting the bike. The missus is out all day so the plan was to allow enough time for the exhaust smoke to clear as I am NOT going outside with it yet :D It started up after a while and sounds healthy on the outer pots. The middle pot isn't firing so that's the first thing to sort. The other is that it is making a real pinking noise with the choke on which disappears when the choke is off. Any ideas why chaps? (Apart from helpful suggestions about not using the choke ;) )
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but the favourite is a blocked slow running jet. Mike Yeadon had a 550 engine making knocking noises, but that was a bad rebuild with slightly longer than normal con rods. You could get slightly 'pinking' noises during the engine being on choke and not been run for some time - in effect a bit bunged up until you can give it a decent run. The engine will be slow running via the enrichment rather than the pilot jets.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan H wrote:Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but the favourite is a blocked slow running jet. Mike Yeadon had a 550 engine making knocking noises, but that was a bad rebuild with slightly longer than normal con rods. You could get slightly 'pinking' noises during the engine being on choke and not been run for some time - in effect a bit bunged up until you can give it a decent run. The engine will be slow running via the enrichment rather than the pilot jets.
Cheers Alan, that sounds not too bad. The middle pot has started to fire now so I think it is probably just a case of running up the carbs before panicking too much.Kev
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Kettletimes3 wrote:It looks to me, And i would say that someone has put iron liners in a nikasil bore.
Well that's weird. I've still been puzzled over the pots having four transfer ports but having iron liners. I just bought a Nikasil middle pot off ebay for not much money and it is as everyone sez, all aluminium sleeve with a plated surface. The magnet won't stick anywhere on the sleeve whereas it stuck to the sleeves of all my three pots. All of them have the "CEM" stamp on the outsides so they must have started life as Nikasils :o . Some-one has spent a lot of money converting them. :roll:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hopefully they never wear as there is no such thing as oversize Nikasil type pistons, as you can't rebore a SCEM cylinder.
Are the bores standard Kev? I'd be interested if they weren't, as it would mean that someone must have used standard type oversize pistons and modified the skirts to suit the different porting.