GT550A

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Kettletimes3

Re: GT550A

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Nice Bike Kev.
Is that the color that you put on the 750 side panel.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi John

No, it is a straight metallic, not a candy. Looks nice and 70's though :) Kev
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Lovely Bike Kev, you've done a wonderful job there. The tank stripes look ok to me, get out on her and enjoy it, you've earned it.

Jeff
GT750A
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Thanks Jeff. Typically, the weather has turned crap now :(
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

The quality of workmanship on this bike is fantastic - I can only dream mine will turn out even a little bit close to this - stunning job- well done - and thanks for posting all the pics !!

Eamonn
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

es2GT550 wrote:The quality of workmanship on this bike is fantastic - I can only dream mine will turn out even a little bit close to this - stunning job- well done - and thanks for posting all the pics !!

Eamonn
Thanks Eamonn, I really appreciate that. Weirdly, I've just started work today on replacing the barrels and pistons with a proper Nikasil set up now I've got all the bits I need. I reckon it should be sorted in a couple of weeks then MOT time and on the road proper ! Kev
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Good luck with it Kev - it really is a credit to you - quality workmanship. I know mine needs work - just no so sure how much and with several bikes in bits I do n't want to rip another one apart just yet. I just love the look of the triple - 2 stroke engine and I'm looking forward to rebuilding it. If it ends up anywhere near as nice as yours I'll be well pleased.
Eamonn
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Where did the last 7 months go ! :o

I've lifted the barrels off to replace them with a Nikasil plated set.Earlier in the thread you will read that the barrels I fitted were of the later type with four transfer ports and the high stud fitting at the back but with IRON bores! The have the CEM logo on them so they must have originally been Nikasil and some-one has, no doubt at great expense, later fitted iron sleeves. I double checked them today with a magnet and yes, they are defo iron. I've compared it with the barrels I know are Nikasil and apart from the weak response from the Nikasil, the magnet isn't interested.

So I now have a spare unused set of vapour blasted "two over" iron bore barrels with the matching pistons and rings going begging.
slosher

Post by slosher »

canaletto5 wrote:the barrels I fitted were of the later type with four transfer ports and the high stud fitting at the back but with IRON bores!
Hi Kev
Tek it there not strictly suitable for "L" motors albeit can be fitted

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi mate

Sorry, should have said, only suitable for M, A and B models due to the port arrangements at the base of the barrels. Kev