Unintended GT750B restoration

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
philshort7390

Re: Unintended GT750B restoration

Post by philshort7390 »

Last night, all finished, ready for a clean before startup.
DSC_6650.JPG
here's the close-up of the petrol cap showing how the neck is now bare metal with epoxy paint sealing the base
DSC_6657.JPG
Scrubbed up (polish required though!)
DSC_6660.JPG
DSC_6670.JPG
My girls. Three of them at least (four if you count the TVR in the shadows!)
DSC_6671.JPG
Last edited by philshort7390 on Sat May 13, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

PaulD738 wrote:Well done Phil she looks & sounds superb and is a credit to you after all the hard work, now put it away in a nice warm garage before it gets dirty and starts rotting away :lol:
She's back inside, I spotted a cloud!!! :D
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Now get out there and give it some welly as it gets mucky! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Great stuff! the pipes sound very good to me. Nice slow idle, too!
Enjoy,
Mike
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I'm sorry but that is way too nice to actually ride :shock:
I would be terrified of getting it scratched or dirty, if it belonged to me it would have pride of place in the living room 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Desmodromic

Post by Desmodromic »

Nice to see it finished. Bet your proud of it. Hopefully you will not be too scared to use it :-) Afterall that's what they were built for.
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

Went to work on her yesterday. Here's a pic taken outside out warehouse!
18491685_1534532256571112_8995532096456051863_o.jpg
She runs great, a bit of surging on the overrun but I think I should be able to tune that out. To start with I didn't have any play in the throttle cables, so that won't have helped. The battery went flat also, I'm checking the charging tomorrow but she's been on trickle charge since yesterday. Much better handling than I remember - and than the last 750A I had 12 years ago - probably down to the Hagons and Wirth progressive springs, and maybe also the Hyperpro fork oil (15w).

She's oil tight other than some slight spitting from the left header, cured by unbolting and winding the collar out a turn.

Delcevics sound incredibly like stock pipes to me, maybe in a direct comparison side by side you could discern a difference, but so far 10 out of 10 people asked said they could not tell the difference. :D

She's on display on Sunday at the Rugby Bikefest (http://www.rugbytowncentre.co.uk/events/bikefest-2017) if anyone's local enough and wants to see her. Weather looks like it should be OK.

Time for some shout outs as the young uns might say. The build hasn't all been my work, and there are some honourable mentions due. Apologies if I miss anyone, it's been quite a long job!

In no particular order:
  • Baz for blasting, polishing and zinc plating work, and the carb restoration.
    KettleBoy for the switch gear restoration, nice tidy work mate
    WaterBuffallo for the clock restoration, what can I say? Immaculate.
    Phil Jones for the brake caliper and disc restoration. Maybe not. Not proving to be a very reliable supplier IMHO.
    Mike Yeadon for his invaluable re-keying service.
    Mark Read for many quality stainless fasteners.
    Ian (Astrax) Beardsley for loads more stainless goodies (banjos, spacers, engine bolts, sump bolts, sprocket bolts, nuts, washers, fork caps, fuel tap plate, fuel tap bowl, engine brackets, dust seals, lock washers, top class seat lock rebuild, and probably more I've forgotten) - the man's a genius!
    Chris Applebee for the crank rebuild.
    Uwe Gottwald for his brilliant electronic ignition.
    P & K Classic Bikes for the seat refurb.
    Suzuki GB, CMS NL, SuzukiParts, Francos, Robinsons Foundry, Custom Fasteners, Mr Megapack for various other bits and pieces.
    And lastly thanks for all the encouragement, advice and assistance from this forum.
Last edited by philshort7390 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

I will some time soon go through the pile of invoices I have accumulated, which literally is now 2 inches thick, and tot up just how much this whole thing has cost. I think I'll just enjoy ownership for a while first though :P .
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Phil,
If you're going through the invoices, may I suggest that, if you own a cat, you put it out of harms way beforehand? :lol:
Enjoy!
Mike