Rear shock shroud swap.

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
PaulD738

Rear shock shroud swap.

Post by PaulD738 »

When I first got my kettle one of the first things I bought where a cheap (£60) pair of shocks which to be honest are pretty good and probably better than the originals when they where new. However at the time I didn't realise that the 750J came with long shrouds and the ones I bought had the short ones. It doesn't affect the operation and to be honest if it hadn't been for Phil Short on here selling a pair of brand new long shrouds I wouldn't have bothered. They turned up yesterday so today I swapped them over which turned out to be a bit of a chore! I usually use two small ratchet straps (one either side of the Spring) to compress the spring enough to release the collar and therefore enabling me to remove the shroud. However I seemed to have lost/mislaid one of my straps so I had to use just one. A right royal pain in the arris but I managed it in the end. When I got the shroud off I found the hole in the top where the collet fits was too small by 1.5mm :oops: I managed to mount it in the lathe without deforming it (they are only thin sheet steel) and bore enough out for the collet to fit :D
I'm chuffed to mintballs now and I think they look a lot better. Cheers Phil your a star and if anyone needs a mint pair of short shrouds you know where to come :roll:

Note to self I must polish that rear hub up :tw
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
philshort7390

Re: Rear shock shroud swap.

Post by philshort7390 »

Excellent! They do like good in their new home.

For info for anyone else working on their shocks, this sort of thing is way easier if you have a pair of motorcycle spring compressors! I got a Laser set and they work great.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Nicely done ! Image
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

Here's a pic of the shocks those shrouds came off, the other side of the story! Shock bodies and springs from new repro shocks (where the long shrouds came from), short OE shrouds rechromed and top mount and adjuster collars off the OE shocks but cleaned up. Stainless spacers and washers from Ian (astrax) and stainless dome nuts from Custom Fasteners.
DSC_3619.JPG
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Show off :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

:P :mrgreen: 8-)