x7 project

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
GT380c

Re: x7 project

Post by GT380c »

hi

I have done a good few sets of fork legs and had varying success but I have now managed to achieve a correct finish.

firstly, polish to a near mirror finish, then take a green scotch brite pad, wrap around the bottom and twist with good pressure around seven or eight times, then lift the pad off the leg, move it up squarely about 2 inch and repeat all the way to the top....if it don't look right just give the process another go.

When you are happy with the appearance spray coat with 3 coats of satin clear lacquer, good luck.

john..
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

Cheers for that, that's an autumn project me thinks.
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi all,

an update on the X7 project, this is a great bike to work on and a very easy bike to work on, if anyone fancies doing a nut and bolt rebuild but fears the larger models get yourself one of theses, a great bike to do a first project on. I can say that as I have done a few nut and bolt jobs from 250`s to 750`s..

anyway, the bike is now a full rolling frame, both wheels refurbed and on with new dunlops, rear brake mechanism back on and fully operational, indicators, rear light and front headlight all finished and back together.

I managed to source an original pair of bars so they will be off to the chromers next week with the gear change lever, and a few other small bits and pieces.

the battery box and electrics plate is also back on along with a next rear brake light switch.

will be stripping the motor in the next few weeks, full rebuild after aqua blasting and crank works etc and then it will be put back in the frame.

cheers
IMG_3218.JPG
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

Great work! And yes they are a very easy bike to work on,I'd carry a spare piston in my pocket years ago and could change it at roadside with only a few tools,in hindsight I'd have been better off jetting it properly but could never get it quite right due to the bashed and flattened homemade pipes(and complete lack off knowledge and money,and loads of spare Pistons!fun times :) )
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Marty!
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi

the project is moving on a little, the engine has been stripped, worn gears replaced, crank rebuilt with new seals and bearing etc. it would be rude not to whilst the casings are split...aqua blasted and the bolts etc. all re zinced, will be back in the frame in a few weeks.

managed to pick these two nos silencers up last week, they are in A1 condition and will look great on the bike.

more soon, john

IMG_3428.JPG
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hiu

a bit of an update, engine rebuilt, new everything, back in the frame and looking well, will get the cases and downpipes on next..

IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3447.JPG
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Looking good 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Nice ! Image

8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi

engine casings painted and back on and completed set of carbs ready to be mounted..
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Just a small side not here to one of your original posts, X7s never had the handlebars with a raised section in between the clamps.
Two strokes, its just that simple.