x7 project

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
GT380c

Re: x7 project

Post by GT380c »

Nice looking bike that. If its original I may well be coming to you for information.

I think it may be time on this forum to have an x5 and an x7 section. What do the administrators think?.

Thanks for posting the pictures john
RickyPell50

Post by RickyPell50 »

Hi John I restored the bike a few years ago because it had sat in my mothers garage from 1980 until 2001 but it had never been apart before that so it was easy to see where everything went back. Engine is still on original bores but had the crank rebuilt as the big ends went..............Rick
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi

felt like doing a bit today so rebuilt the forks, reground stanchions and new seals etc, went for the brushed lacquered finish on the legs as oppose to the polished look, I think it gives more of an original appearance.....

all done and ready to go back on the frame in a week or two..
all done and ready to go back on the frame in a week or two..

does anyone know where I can acquire a set of original handlebars???

cheers

john
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi ricky

can you remember where you acquired the rear shocks from on the x7 rebuild.....they look very nice...

cheers

john
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

bit of an update..
freshly back from the coaters, excellent finish and a quick turnaround.
freshly back from the coaters, excellent finish and a quick turnaround.
swinging arm, main and side stand, torque arm and rear foot pegs all refurbed and in place..
swinging arm, main and side stand, torque arm and rear foot pegs all refurbed and in place..
Attachments
forks but on, top bolt needs to good for a chroming along with other bolts from the top are of the triple tree
forks but on, top bolt needs to good for a chroming along with other bolts from the top are of the triple tree
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Looking good John ;)
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

the bike is coming along nicely, bit to quick though it was meant to be a project for this coming winter...
IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG

more next week..
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Yeh we have all said that " here's my winter project" then finished it before winter even arrives ;-)
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

A few more new and refinished bit added,

front guard, headlamp bowl, indicators, foot pegs rubbers (the rhs one was a right nuisance to source...) rear light etc...

should be a little bit more done next weekend, took the brake pedal, rear brake cable arm, a set of suzuki bars I managed to obtain and a few other bits and pieces to the chromers Wednesday gone and they claim they will be ready for collection this coming Thursday......we shall wait and see....not holding my breath...
IMG_2892.JPG
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

I like the look of them fork bottoms, im thinking of doing mine in the not to distant future on the 750, how do you get that finish???