Resurrection of Dobbin

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
PaulD738

Re: Resurrection of Dobbin

Post by PaulD738 »

Both clocks finished apart from the trip knob on the speedo. I need to source some hard black plastic then I will turn one up on the lathe.
Attachments
030F86F4-E14A-4BD3-9417-018FF1CA08CC.jpeg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Looking good Paul :)
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

canaletto5 wrote:Looking good Paul :)
Cheers Kev, I’m pleased how they have turned out. I managed to find some hard black plastic bar on eBay so I’m going to turn a trip knob up. There is one seller on eBay doing replica GT750J trip knobs for £29! I nearly had an Alan H style fit at that lol
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I’ve found a way to more or less reproduce the trip knobs on my speedo. You can buy repo’s for the 750J at a price of £29! but not the 500
Attachments
23F271B2-1B3B-467B-B0C8-D68BB9DCBF14.jpeg

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well now as I’ve finally retired and the Kat aka beelzebitch is behaving herself I’m back on with the Dobbin project.
First thing was to order a set of repro exhausts from Marcel in the Netherlands. They ain’t cheap at £850 (HAR MUCH?) including shipping but even Agbrigg charge £700 for rechroming so the new ones don’t look too expensive. The second job is to take all the little odds & sods to Agbrigg for chroming. stuff like brake drum linkages and arms, gear and kickstart levers would spoil the job if I just cleaned them up. The motor is now on the bench and I’ve got everything I need to rebuild it. I’m having the cases, barrels and heads vapour blasted and I’ll polish the outers myself. Pics to follow when the postman brings the goodies.
All I’ve got to do now is find a way to tell swmbo how much I’ve spent :o

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote: All I’ve got to do now is find a way to tell swmbo how much I’ve spent :o
No Paul. That's the last thing you do - literally.
But if you do, can I have the 500, cos you will not be found anywhere!!! :shock:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

PaulD738 wrote:Both clocks finished apart from the trip knob on the speedo. I need to source some hard black plastic then I will turn one up on the lathe.
Well done, they came up a treat... I have a few in a box, just need time to get to them and do them.. you didn't want to 00000 the speedo, with a rebuilt engine?... :D
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

KETTLE BOY wrote:
PaulD738 wrote:Both clocks finished apart from the trip knob on the speedo. I need to source some hard black plastic then I will turn one up on the lathe.
Well done, they came up a treat... I have a few in a box, just need time to get to them and do them.. you didn't want to 00000 the speedo, with a rebuilt engine?... :D
I haven’t decided whether to zero them or not yet? I’m thinking it might be nice to keep the original mileage, that’s assuming it is original of course?

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well things are moving along nicely with old Dobbin. Mr postman dropped me a large box off from Marcel in the Netherlands. I only ordered them on Monday afternoon and they turned up yesterday! I’m chuffed to bits with them they are superb right down to the wording stamped on them, something Delkavic should take note of. This morning I had a trip up to Leeds to see Shaun at Aggbrigg and drop the last few bits of chroming off. I’m getting exited now and the fun part is about begin when I start to bolt it all together and it looks like a motorbike again 8-)
Attachments
E5E4E7F6-CD5E-4ACD-B87D-59AC7FDFC2E2.jpeg

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Nice to see you being able to get on with it buddy