Resurrection of Dobbin

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
PaulD738

Re: Resurrection of Dobbin

Post by PaulD738 »

I dropped the front & rear mudguards plus the chainguard off at Seans (Aggbrigg) on Saturday which apart from the rear light bracket and a few little bits is all of the chrome work finished. The last few odds & sods will have to wait until I get paid again next month.
I bought some front & rear indicators off flea bay but only the rears have arrived yet so SWMBO will have another blue fit when the parcel turns up in the week :o The cost of chroming the mudguards and chainguard put her almost at breaking point so this may just send her over the edge :lol: I've also laced the rear hub up to the new rim using the last of the spokes I bought a couple of years ago when the project first started. The hub was in a bit of a mess so I've spent countless hours bead blasting and polishing to get it to this state. Slowly things are starting to come together and it won't be too long until I have a rolling chassis.
Attachments
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Paul,
Please, tell her its an investment 8-)
Mike
ps: coming along nicely!
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well I had an unexpected text this morning, Sean from Aggbrigg said my latest batch of chroming was ready to be collected 8-) it was unexpected as he originally told me it wouldn't be ready until next Saturday. So quick as you like (and I don't do quick :lol: ) I was up to Leeds where waiting for me was this little lot, pleased? you betcha :D
Attachments
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG
Last edited by PaulD738 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Told you he was good.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well I've spent the morning building the newly chromed forks up. A little bit of a faff as the chrome had crept into the top of the fork legs and the new top bush wouldn't fit in! a quick whizz with the die grinder soon sorted that out ;) so all in all I have now two fully restored fork legs with new bushes, seals and gaiters. Bloody typical as I couldn't find any black tie wraps :oops: Next job is to remove the excess powder coating from inside the bottom yolk clamps then I can fit the forks into the frame. While I was in the mood I built the front mudguard assembly up with new stainless steel cross head screws, nuts & washers.
Attachments
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Yummy :D
quark77

Post by quark77 »

enjoying this ;)
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Its a fun time, enjoy! it'll never be cleaner and more shiny than now :D
Mike
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Not progress exactly and I’m sorry about the rubbish photos but it’s a bit cramped in my man cave :?
After our paint god Kev finished my tanks and side panel I thought I would see what Dobbin looks like in her new clothes 8-) I’m going to paint the tank badge to match the side panel badge before any one asks. As you can see I’ve fitted my nos filler cap which has come with the wrong catch! it’s actually the catch for the 750J which is different so if anyone has the correct T500 catch they can part with there are beer tokens waiting ;)
Attachments
0E503792-F83E-4B5B-966C-6C3CD67D2D5C.jpeg
66951297-FD34-4B80-8730-86C7C778F817.jpeg
F9DFD045-487F-4164-979A-8A9EE278A32C.jpeg

barney01

Post by barney01 »

Paul that's a lovely colour...... Can't wait to see the final photos of Dobbin!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE