Restoration of some more modern parts

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Restoration of some more modern parts

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Some rider and passenger heel plates after restoration. On these I sit and clean the castings of their casting sprue sections, clean and deburr any other edges, smoothen areas of concern, then media blast them and recheck the parts, repeat as needed. Once they are looking how I like them, then its onto paint followed by creating the brush finished areas. After thats been completed, its on to some two part clear coat and then baked at 200 F for 30 to 45 minutes. The heel guards with the two holes in them were only ever painted as stock, I decided to create the brush finished on them as its a more detailed finish.
1200 riders heel plate rh 1.JPG
Restored right side riders heel guard with raised brushed section.
IMG_1525.JPG
Restored left side riders heel guards.
IMG_1526.JPG
Restored left side riders heel guard, brushed finish section on the face only.
IMG_1528.JPG
Paint and brushed finish section meets at the edge.
IMG_1530.JPG
Restored right side riders heel guards
Pillion footplate rh 5.JPG
Restored right side rear footrest bracket with brushed finish on the raised section.
Pillion footplate rh 1.JPG
Restored right side rear footrest bracket with brushed finish on the raised section.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
PaulD738

Re: Restoration of some more modern parts

Post by PaulD738 »

8-) Love it, you really are obsessive with your restorations aren't you Alan? :lol:
I just wish I had the skill and patience to turn out stuff like that
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for your comments Paul, I just like doing things to a level thats better than the factory did, if its possible to do so. I like subtle detail changes/improvements you have to know what to look for, and if you notice them at first, your reaction is WTF.
The factories turned out parts in mass quantities so everything is built to a price; I'm doing these for myself so its costing me my time and some paint supplies.

Heres how rims are updated/restored, gotten off Ebay of course and you need to look at condition and price before buying. I stripe the paint off the areas such as the outer edges and the bead interior section where its been over sprayed. Then I sand with various grades of water sand until its ready for the next step. Then I polish the rim edges to bring up a decent level of shine, after that the wheel is washed and degreased. I then paint on the colour I will be using for the central hub and spoke section and wipe off the excess where its gone onto the polished edge sections. You can't tape it off successfully as the compound curves dont allow tape to fit there correctly. Once the rim is cleaned of the paint overspray, I finish off the painted sections with clearcoat, and yes you then need to go back and clean the clearcoat from the polished edges. You have to be good at this with steady hands as you are cleaning right up against a freshly painted and clear coated edge.
Bandit rear rim 1.jpg
A used rear rim bought off Ebay ready to be updated/restored.
Bandit rear rim restored 2.JPG
Finished
Bandit at Kootenay Landing.JPG
The rims on this bike are painted the same colour as the engine, a graphite metallic colour and have the polished edges.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Just fabulous 8-)
Now after my comments can I pick your brains please?
The tank off my T500 while in remarkably good condition and rust free has an annoying dent in its top surface. How would you go about removing it without cutting the bottom out and beating it out that way?
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

You need to get it done by a place that uses a paintless dent removal system or buy one yourself and have a go at it. I have seen this same kit in the video in action and it works, BUT you need to be patient and take your time to slowly work the dents out. The guy could have taken the repair further in the video but you get the basic idea by what hes doing.
A friend of mine got two bad dents on the top side edges of his Honda Blackbird fuel tank where the metal is the hardest to remove dents from due to the compound curves. These happened during shipping of the bike where the top braces in the crate shifted loose and damaged the tank on each top edge rather badly, so he bought this same kit to try removing them.
Hes got the dents out now to the point where they only need a little bit of surface prep and some putty to fill the areas. His plan is to then prime the sections and spot paint the tank, then clear coat it as the rest of the tank is in perfect shape paintwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7m7WsfEnb4
quark77

Post by quark77 »

nice to see someone else appreciating the great 1200 bandit ! amongst my 70 s srokers dwells my 99 bandit 1200 , i restored it last year (not to original) after some knob drove his car straight into it whilst it was parked !
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for your comments Quark77, that 98 Bandit 1200 was a piece of junk and basically a parts bike when I got it in the winter of 2010, I went through it completely from front to rear with a restoration and along the way swapping out all the black and silver painted parts along with other pieces I restored. It made a great comeback indeed and you would never know it was in such bad shape from looking at it now.
Thats one of three MK1 Bandits I have, and I can't see myself parting with any of them ever.