GT550J wiring query

Gr8uncleal

GT550J wiring query

Post by Gr8uncleal »

I appear to have a 'spare' black and white (earth?) wire, with a male connector, in the bunch of wires that end up a few inches above the right hand footrest. Could someone let me know what, if anything, it should connect to.

Even though it's probably an earth wire, my (admittedly limited) experience of 'spares' is that they usually end with a female connector.

Many thanks.
yeadon_m

Re: GT550J wiring query

Post by yeadon_m »

My guess is its one of three wires from the coils to the connectors which then run to the points.
Can't think of anything else there. The brake light switch sits near there but thats a dual mini-loom.
Cheers,
Mike
Gr8uncleal

Post by Gr8uncleal »

Thanks Mike.

I'll venture into the garage to have a look when it gets above freezing!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Double check the colour, it should be black and yellow if it is one of the points wires. They do fade though and the yellow stripe can go a whitish colour. Kev
Gr8uncleal

Post by Gr8uncleal »

Thanks for your posts chaps.

Just ventured out for another look and all points wires present and correct (also, they are female connectors from the main #2 loom, not male).

As far as I was able without stripping the insulation off the loom, I traced the wire back and I think it ends up attached by way of a ring connector to the bolt attaching to the frame just in front of the battery.

My understanding is that the 'J' model had a long main earth/ground lead which bolts to the back of the engine, although none of the parts diagrams that I have come across so far illustrate this. The wiring diagram that I have come across does show 3 earthing points and I am now thinking that there should be a small earth wire between my 'spare' and the stud on the battery box where the tool tray is mounted (my bike arrived as a 'resto' case, with the tool tray and its mounting screw missing). However, I could not find a short earth wire listed as a part anywhere.

My electrical knowledge is way short of understanding why this would be needed, but my Yamaha RT2 of the same year has the battery box earthed in the same way and so I guess there was good reason for it.

I will proceed on this basis unless someone advises otherwise!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Photos would be good! I think it is your main earth connection for the 2 part main loom. If you look at the front section where it connects to the back section, you should find a matching connector coming out of the sleeve with a multi plug and a red flying lead.Kev
Gr8uncleal

Post by Gr8uncleal »

Well Kev, you've not sorted this query, but you have probably sorted another that I haven't fully addressed yet!!

Multi plug, red and black/white wires all there and connected, so (unless I was correct in my previous post) still no nearer solving my initial query. However, in addition to those wires connecting the front and rear looms already identified, there were also an orange (connected) and another red, unconnected. The red was coming from the front loom and finished in a male connector (maybe don't want that rubbing against the frame!).

Now, most of the insulation was missing off the rear loom and I found, I think, 4 severed wire ends (orange, black/white and 2 reds). At first I thought my whole loom was shot and so picked up a second hand one. This was not in as good a condition as I first thought and so I started stripping off the insulation with a view to restoring it. Lo and behold, what did I find? Just the orange, black/white and one of the reds all severed in the same place, that's what! I can only assume, therefore, that's how they came out of the factory. I will need to do a final check, but I think, Kev, you have identified where my extra severed red needs connecting to!

Probably worth pointing out that the bike cam minus the battery and the main earth lead and I'm not intending wiring in the new battery until I consider that I have sorted all of the wiring.

If I can coax 'er indoors into the garage with a camera and I can master the technology involved in uploading them (my middle name is Luddite!), then pictures will appear!

Thanks and all the best.
Gr8uncleal

Post by Gr8uncleal »

Kev

Hopefully some images are attached. One shows a brand new loom #2 with the black/white wire and the other shows an original earth lead that is on ebay - note the female connector. Also on ebay is a brand new earth lead, but with a ring connector instead of the female.

At least I can be fairly certain now that the connector doesn't relate to anything that is missing from my bike!
GT550 ground or earth cable 2.jpg
GT550 wiring 4.jpg
Gr8uncleal

Post by Gr8uncleal »

Photo attached re my last post.

At $50 plus postage, I'm not tempted!
GT550 new earth wire.jpg
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Gr8uncleal wrote:Kev

Hopefully some images are attached. One shows a brand new loom #2 with the black/white wire and the other shows an original earth lead that is on ebay - note the female connector. Also on ebay is a brand new earth lead, but with a ring connector instead of the female.

At least I can be fairly certain now that the connector doesn't relate to anything that is missing from my bike!GT550 ground or earth cable 2.jpgGT550 wiring 4.jpg
Your right, it looks like some-one has chopped off the ring connector and fitted a bullet for some reason.