Want to buy GT750J

Backitoff

Want to buy GT750J

Post by Backitoff »

Looking to buy a tatty / resto GT750J
If anyone spots one please let me know.
I rode a friends the other day and fell in love with it.
Thanks in advance.
Alan H

Re: Want to buy GT750J

Post by Alan H »

The later ones are better, less expensive and parts are easier to get - especially exhausts.
Of course, if you are concerned about cost, get a 550, it's surprising how many there are about nowadays as more people realise they are a bargain compared to the hippos.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:The later ones are better, less expensive and parts are easier to get - especially exhausts.
Of course, if you are concerned about cost, get a 550, it's surprising how many there are about nowadays as more people realise they are a bargain compared to the hippos.
There's a reason why they're cheap, they're a poor mans kettle and nowhere near as desirable, therefore reflected in the price.That's why they're the main choice of a certain miserly Yorkshireman on here. :lol:

How long before he bites I wonder? ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

They aren't as 'desirable' because the less well informed and gullible folk who have them, fall for the propaganda blurted out by all the others who fell for the bollo shi bunkum spouted by all the others who believed and bought one and now don't want to appear as a total wazzock, so tell their mates what a great thing they are.
The GT550 is actually the smart triple owner's choice. Less expensive to buy and run, more fun to ride and better value all round.
No biting at all, just smiling. :D
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:They aren't as 'desirable' because the less well informed and gullible folk who have them, fall for the propaganda blurted out by all the others who fell for the bollo shi bunkum spouted by all the others who believed and bought one and now don't want to appear as a total wazzock, so tell their mates what a great thing they are.
The GT550 is actually the smart triple owner's choice. Less expensive to buy and run, more fun to ride and better value all round.
No biting at all, just smiling. :D
Definitely biting. :lol:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well yer both wrong. The 750J which is the real Kettle, not the lesser “modern kettle” is a far better bike than either of your old clankers :lol: looks better, smoother and more tourqey. You just have to learn to love them which I couldn’t. Of course if you want a real mans triple you need a Kawa Mach 3 or a H2 triple. I can’t afford one so I’ve got THE best aircooled twin ever made the mighty T500 which is better in every way than either of your bikes :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote:Well yer both wrong. The 750J which is the real Kettle, not the lesser “modern kettle” is a far better bike than either of your old clankers :lol: looks better, smoother and more tourqey.
Torquey, just like Paul. Jibber jabber..... :roll:
You just have to learn to love them which I couldn’t. Of course if you want a real mans triple you need a Kawa Mach 3 or a H2 triple. I can’t afford one so I’ve got THE best aircooled twin ever made the mighty T500 which is better in every way than either of your bikes :lol:
Well, 2 thirds of one anyway.... :lol:
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backitoff

Post by Backitoff »

Well, I’ll just keep looking. A J in candy lavender is the ultimate looking bike for me.
I have a 550K and an L which I’ll probably sell if I can find an ‘honest’ J 750.
Seems that most that need restoring have been messed with quite a bit. I’d like to find a complete unmolested one, as long as it’s a restoration and not a resurrection I’ll be happy.