GT 750 gauge restoration service

yeadon_m

Re: GT 750 gauge restoration service

Post by yeadon_m »

Allan,

>> speedo photo, notice the number font is not the same for the trip and odo reels <<

How interesting. I've never noticed that, but right you are.

BTW, the meaning of the 'too good' comment, eg from tennis, is with reference to the person saying it, ie 'better than me' (eg when the player is passed)

Cheers,
Mike
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Compare these two photos of the same gauge face. One before work commenced and one after the restoration work.

This tach has seen a lot of sun weathering, the original colours have gone off, the dark blue looks sort of blackish and the light blue looks white. The redline section print has mostly degraded to nothing, and what was left literally turned to dust when I opened the gauge and touched it.

The same face after restoration, luckily the dark blue and light blue portions were still in good enough condition to take restoration without degrading further.The redline section, well thats another story but it certainly looks much improved now.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Intrigued to know how you get the redline oblongs so neat but I expect its a trade secret :-)
Mike
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Mike, as James bond said in one of his movies ,,,, "Its all in the wrist" . Its just one of those things I cant divulge. I noticed a piece of lint lying next to one of the red oblongs as you call them, when I loaded the pic, but the photos is only there to give you an idea of how the dark and light blue came back to near original levels. The red lines are a bonus to show how the completed face will look.
I wish the rest of the restoration work was as quick and easy as restoring face plates. Everything for a total restoration just takes so much time to make it 100% correct, but the results are worth it.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

A case I removed for a gauge in restoration with some dent damage and out of round issues.

Inside view of this set of dents

More dents and a very rusty case.

Totally out of shape for being 100% round.

Repaired to a certain level, now to media blast it to bare metal and recheck the finer issues, if any.

Most work done at this stage, now for media blasting and checking the metal for any minor imperfections.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Parts used on this wrecked speedo were a boot, trip knob and glass lens, everything else was reused and restored.

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Holy s**t that's amazing! it just shows what can be achieved if you have the necessary skills. If that was on a bike I bought it would probably go straight into the bin. Just out of interest how much did you charge to do that? however much it was it was worth it, incredible
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Paul It was mostly a case cleaning up all of the parts carefully, then a total rebuild of everything, so it was more time spent than anything else. That was a speedo I bought to test out what could be done to it, and luckily the face was not scratched, so its still the original screen print on the face in the restored photo.
The restoration cost for labour and the three parts used on it would be approximately $200.00 US dollars for this particular job. The speedo was only $24.00 when I collected it, so it was cheap, and despite the dirt and physical appearance, it was quite salvageable.

I put the photo of the restored speedo upside down so you can see the upper part of the case where the major damage was.
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Waterbuffalo...are you still providing thsi service? My gauges are in need of some love and attention, I'd like to do them myself but I've struggled with these type of bezels before and I've never managed to get them on tightly and neatly.

Thanks, Drew.

Drew. '75 GT750M
astrax

Post by astrax »

RichardsMorphy wrote:Waterbuffalo...are you still providing thsi service? My gauges are in need of some love and attention, I'd like to do them myself but I've struggled with these type of bezels before and I've never managed to get them on tightly and neatly.

Thanks, Drew.
Hi Drew

Alan aka Waterbuffalo has just got back from a rather long holiday, he will be trying to catch up on messages for a while, I'll send him an email to let him know to visit the forum.
Looking at the work he has done in the past you won't even recognise the clocks once they have been done, better than if you could buy a new set now.

Thanks
Ian