GT 750 gauge restoration service

RichardsMorphy

Re: GT 750 gauge restoration service

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Thanks Ian, it's appreciated. No big rush....later tonight should be OK :lol: No...I jest. The engine won't be back in the bike for a while.

All the best, Drew.
Drew. '75 GT750M
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for your query and yes I'm still doing gauge restoration. The problem I see in your photos is the stainless steel rings are physically and visually damaged and no amount of restoration will ever make them look correct again.
I have no spares so unless you can find some to replace those ones with its not going to make the completed job look correct.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Thanks for getting back...are these the rings that have to be peened,(?) over? The bare metal parts? (I'm going to strip them down a bit later to have a better look, I only just whipped them off today). Can you see the damage to, what I would call, the shrouds...the top part that the lens fits into? Do they look repairable then? And the lenses?

Thanks...
Drew. '75 GT750M
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

I've got them in my hand now, will take a few more photos, brb.............
Drew. '75 GT750M
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Sorry...they're a bit jumbled up :oops: This 1975 M bike has had a B engine fitted, it could be the speedo was changed over at the same time.

Last edited by RichardsMorphy on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drew. '75 GT750M
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Are you able to use used rings? In other words, ones that havn't been removed DIY fashion? I'm wondering if I pick up a set of clocks that may be tired but have rings that are tight and not been removed before you could use them?
Also, those tiny cap head screws on the lower covers....I take it they're not standard? I've left all my allen keys at the garage 100mls away, I picked up a screwdriver but no keys :roll:

More pics:- Alan...I'm on the Sundial Forum too if it's any easier for you...although can't imagine why...
Drew. '75 GT750M
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

don't think the rings are available.
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

So there's no way the old ones can be re-used Mark? I've had this problem before. I did once catch an advert for a machine that tightened these bezels up, it was in a car mag for kit cars. Then promptly lost it again :roll:
Drew. '75 GT750M
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

How about the fasteners on the chrome covers? They are Allen screws aren't they? Not rivets? My eyes are so bad :oops:
Drew. '75 GT750M
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Yes, those are allen screws. The originals are small, cross-head screws and can still be bought.
I cannot comment on the stainless rings for, as I've done a half-job on restoring clocks, I've only even done 380/550 clocks and their bezels / trim rings are soft and, I think alloy and besides, their sealing edges are hidden when the clocks are mounted in the cases.
Allan / WB is your man.
Cheers,
Mike