GT 750 gauge restoration service

Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Re: GT gauge restoration service

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Deleted
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Here are the pre-restored photos of the three gauges shown previously so you can get an idea of their original condition.

Speedo

Tach

Temp

And now the after restoration photo

Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Thats fantastic what you do with those clocks,what paint do you use to get the crackel effect ???When i first got hold of my kettle not knowing much about the difference in certain models my clock surrounds looked a little bit shabby rubbed them down and re-sprayed only to be told by Baz that an "L" model should be crackel finish What a doh doh !!!!!!
Many Thanks Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Hello Dave, I cant very well tell you how I make the old gauges look new now can I, I would be taking business from myself. Why not send me some photos of a set to restore for you and then we can take it from there.
I can however tell you that the 73 gauges are the ones that had the most crackle effect in the housing paint and not the 74s. From then to the following years it varied from that original roughest texture in 73 down to no more than a simple fine textured matte effect by 77.
There is no one brand of paint that gives the cases that replica finish I create, its a lot more involved than simply spraying on a couple of coats.The same goes for recreating the correct colour of red sections on the faces and the blue/green on the inner bezels to bring everything back to a 'like new' condition.

Ian that sounds great, but I need certain tools and supplies I use for gauge restoration, which would be a problem as they cant be brought to the UK. The next best thing is the postal service for sending them to me which is very reliable and not too expensive.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

I would not worry too much about the crackle finish unless its now as smooth as a babies bum.It can be made right but it means having the cases removed and re-done properly.
The things I obsess more about is the yellowed reels, the faded red lines on the tach and hot mark on the temp gauge. Basically no matter how good a resto is, if those issues are not corrected the job looks like crap even with a correctly painted set of cases.
One of the most common problems I notice on dissassembly is a lack or total loss of armature damper fluid, BECAUSE people will insist on inverting the gauges for storage and it simply leaks out, especially onto the faces.

The factory make some big screw ups too, such as the following:
1 Inaccurate gauges due to mistakes with calibrating. Ok its a mechanical gauge so it will never be 100% accurate at all readings, but to be 20 miles per hour off or more is ridiculous.
2 Case joint seals not properly installed and water therefore getting in at those spots.
3 Improperly aligned coiled springs.
4 Needles not set at the zero mark.
5 Cable spigots slack or shaky on their rivets, 73-75 models only.
6 Misaligned faces and trip reels, misaligned bezels, twisted bulb deflector plates in the speedo and temp gauge.
7 And the best one is fitting in the wrong parts, yes they have actually done this as well so nothing surprises me.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Heres a set of restored B model gauges with the kmh scale speedometer fitted to one of my GT750s. The photo is a bit over exposed but you get the general idea of how these gauges look. They also have the yellow coloured bezel update.

Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

A set of 73 K model gauges I recently restored for a customer in Australia. You don't see many of these gauges nowadays, far less in this sort of restored condition. They have in the correct convex glass lenses as well.

Waterbuffalo

Re: GT 750 gauge restoration service

Post by Waterbuffalo »

PM sent to you GTblues
deedub

Post by deedub »

Hi all, Just a quick post to endorse Allans gauge repair services.
I have just recieved my "B" model gauges back and they look absolutely top notch,in actual fact as near to brand new as you can get.
And all at an excellent price.
Thoroughly reccomended!!
Davw
1972 GT750J
1977 GT750B
1971 CB750K1
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for your comment Dave, it was a pleasure working with you on that gauge set. You did not supply a photo of the finished units so I'll post one up here for people to see.