GT 750 gauge restoration service

Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

GT 750 gauge restoration service

Post by Waterbuffalo »

I know Gary does a lot of work in the UK on Kettle gauges but I thought I'd post my site up as an option.
Do have a look around the site especially the photo gallery section, and contact me with any queries you may have.
I also have gauges for sale for the GT750, mostly the 74 to 76 models.

http://gaugerestore.webs.com/
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Re: GT gauge restoration service

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks Mike.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Heres the faces from a GT750 restored to like new condition. notice the correct coloured redline section and correct baby blue shade of the numerals and segments. These are not merely face decals applied over the original faces of the aluminum discs, these are the actual original faces that have been restored to look like new.
Some people like keeping it original as much as possible and this is something many will appreciate, looking like new yet its still an original part.
After I took the photo I realized there's a tiny piece of white dust sitting on the speedometers lower left portion of the face, that's not a permanent feature, just so you know. The flash is also playing tricks on the faces by making the base colour look a bit uneven with a lighter and brighter shade closer in the lower middle areas, when its not so in reality.

I also restore the teal coloured inner bezels, notice on these the outside section is fully painted. The factory never did this, they left it mostly unpainted around the base so it rusted internally, and more so if the gauge ever leaked. These are not merely repainted items, they have been stripped, media blasted and then resprayed to look like this.
As far as the teal colour goes, I've seen it vary from a pale light blue to an almost pale light green. This shade seen here is a combination of all the blues/greens I've come across and its also in the correct satin finish as well.
While its not shown in the photo, I also respray the same colour found inside the temperature gauge unit as well, so they all match perfectly.

As I've mentioned before in a previous post, I like to stagger my incoming workload for gauge restoration, this way I can give my customers a quick turnaround for any work taken in. I don't keep you waiting for months to get your GT750 gauges restored and returned back to you.
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

If you would like to have some customization work done to your gauges this can be accomplished quite easily. I can easily change the white inner trim colour or the teal colour to suit whatever you'd like, as long as the colour is available, that is.
I first started doing this update on the B model gauge bezels a few years ago and have converted a few over for customers already, including my own; to a medium shade yellow instead of the teal colour.
The big benefit is that yellow definitely illuminates much better than the teal around the perimeter of the brown face at night.
On the blue or black faces of the 72 to 76 models the teal works great, but it just doesn't do it for the brown faces, thats possibly why ND switched to the orange colour bezels for the brown faced GS gauges.

Here is how the yellow looks look when the paintwork is altered.

A set of resprayed inner bezels.

A closeup of the speedometer bezel on one of the B model sets of gauges I own.
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Wow, now theres a thing of beauty ... nice work there.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

A few before and after photos to show what can be done to some old gauges.

A Km/h 77B model speedometer with a missing boot and trip reset knob, plus some case damage and internal issues due to the boot being missing.

The same speedometer with the case repaired and a donor boot and knob installed, plus the internals restored. I can also make reset knobs to replicate the originals but they do not have the splines.

A 77B model tachometer with a smashed case and broken glass.

The same tachometer and case now fully restored, damage to the cases such as this can be repaired quite easily as long as its not distorted beyond a certain value.

A 77B model temperature gauge unit that's been rashed in a past accident.

The same temperature gauge now its been restored with the same case as shown above. Its all in the repairs of the tinwork that allows this case to look like new again. In case you are wondering, I do not use 'Bondo' on any repaired cases, the cases are repaired so only primer and paint is needed.

The yellowed fraction reel from an odometer, this is a common problem from years of sun exposure.

A solution I developed to solve the yellowing problem. The odometer and trip meter reels do not share the same font so two different sets have to be made.
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Heres some additional photos showing gauge details

Restored brown faced gauge set for the GT750 with updated inner bezel colour in yellow

Image'
Restored blue faced speedometer

Restored blue faced tachometer

Restored blue faced temperature gauge

A set of blue faced gauges I restored for a customer, they sent this photo once they had installed them to the bike.
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

A set of GT750 gauges I just restored for a customer in Australia. Its not that often you get to see these blue faced speedometers in the Kmh scale, unless you live in Europe or other metric only countries of course.

Right view
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

waterbuffalo did some clocks for me and the quality was stunning.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks Barry, I appreciate your comment about my gauge restoration work.