GT250 380 500 & 550 gauge restoration service.

Alan H

Re: GT250 380 500 & 550 gauge restoration service.

Post by Alan H »

I must comment here how excellent these look. I reckon Suzuki would want to know how these results were accomplished.
They could never expect the originals to look that good 40+ years after they were made.

I recently stripped and 'refurbished' some 1972 clocks from a GT550K, but mine are just 'OK'. Nowhere near the standard of Allans.
They now spin, increase and decrease speed/revs as they should, the odo now works and resets, they don't jimp about as the damping works again and I have notes of indicated speeds at certain RPM on the lathe so I can repeat the rebuild on the next sets on the A and J.
I have several sets to play with, so things can only get better.
I'm certainly not going to start restoring the darn things either as a hobby or business - I need to keep some hair and Lynn reckons she can hear me swearing when I'm in the garage and she's in the house!
I don't have the knowledge, time or inclination to restore to that standard, so mine will just 'work' and look fair to reasonable.
Until I come back in the next life, that'll have to do, I'm afraid.
My Suzukis won't be show winners, but I sure intend putting some miles under the Dunlops. To me, that's what it's all about.

More power to folks like the man who strives for perfection and has the patience to acheive it.
If you ever fancy popping over for a cuppa and letting me in on some secrets Allan, the kettle will be on overtime. ;))

Alan
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for the comments Alan, they are much appreciated. Because of the nature of the work and attention to detail required, its not for people who are impatient or like to rush their work. As you can appreciate when a customer is paying for expertise or knowledge they expect a high level of workmanship; and as a restorer of gauges I have to recreate the same result every time on every gauge I restore, over and over again.
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
THECLOCKDOC

Post by THECLOCKDOC »

Hi allan
we spoke a while ago about the the damping oil in the clocks could uou refresh me what you use please
many thanks
gary
titan500

Post by titan500 »

Hi i have a silk clock with a smiths and veglia clock and speedo if you could help me out?
thanks
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

PM sent
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

clock pictures att Ian
Attachments
DSC_0350.JPG
DSC_0351.JPG
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

PM sent to you Barry.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

These 380/550 inner mechanisms never looked or worked this good, even when they left the factory back in the 70s

DayvW55

Post by DayvW55 »

Hi Allan,

I have just started a restro of a 1975 GT550 and the gauges are a tad sad. I stumbled across this thread and have to say am mighty impressed by your results!

My lenses are actually in great condition, but the casing looks a bit knocked about - indeed chipped and the lettering needs a refresh. I've attached some pics. Are you able to repair the chips and bring these back to their former glory or is are the chips too much? And if so ... an idea of price would be great :).

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Attachments
028.JPG
029.JPG
011.JPG
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

You've obviously not seen the size of his magic wand.

Allan knows what he's doing - He's not Sooty you know!!! ;)

Proof that four strokes are over complicated