Vintage tax discs

RobMc

Re: Vintage tax discs

Post by RobMc »

Mike,how did you find out when and where your bike was first taxed?As I`d like to do the same if possible,only thing I`ve been able to find out is original colour and the reg area letters are for Denbighshire-I imagine if the original dealer can be discovered there could also be a market for those little dealer badges/decals they used to put on the rear fender back in the day-if they are`nt already available?
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

RobMc

Post by RobMc »

They're the very one's!I noticed at least one from my youth-the bee Liverpool,I used to wander round there and horsmans next door staring longingly at the bikes as
A spotty faced school boy.. :D
malky

Post by malky »

Still got the original 78 one on the GT250K - just passed its second ever mot test :D
Mal.
Attachments
20171209_121518.jpg
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Last edited by nairb123 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Rob,
Two bits of data, one you already have and one you can apply for from DVLA.
The first is 'date of first registration' on the V5C. Its almost a certainty that a biker would have his new bike taxed to start on the day he purchased it - why waste a day? so date of 1st reg is v likely the date of first tax disc.
The second is the selling dealer, which you can get if you fill in form V555 and send in a fiver to DLVA (you have to ask nicely and say you're restoring a bike to keep and you want all available records as a nice addition to provenance). Couple of weeks later and boom, photocopied record showing (sometimes) importer, selling dealer, first and successive keepers right up to the person you bought it from.
If for some reasons the selling dealer info isn't available, you can work out the area it was probably sold and taxed in because the letters in the number plate is an area code. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... 63_to_1982
Cheers,
Mike
ps: this is how I know my bikes are Genuine British bikes. None of yer forin muck. :lol:
RobMc

Post by RobMc »

Thanks Mike,I`ll give it a go. Rob