Yorkshire Rally 2019

Harrymail

Re: Yorkshire Rally 2019

Post by Harrymail »

I would of shared with you Steve, but at this stage it doesn't look like I can stop over as I can't do the Saturday due to a family commitment I can't get out of. I'm ok all the other days though. I'll see what I can do when the itinery is known. It's only an hour's ride to the hotel from Hedon.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Cheers Harry, perhaps we can sort something out re' the other nights and maybe meet up and ride to the hotel together on the Thursday. I'll probably see you before then on a Linc's bike night, so can make more positive arrangements then.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote: Hi Alan, looks like I'm gonna be a billy no mates at the rally, my missus doesn't do biking and my son in law mike has cancelled so I'll be riding there on my own. So ifs anyone's looking to share the cost of a twin room please let me know, otherwise seeing as the hotel doesn't do single rooms, (I believe) I'll have a double room to myself please Alan.
Regards, Steve Wharton.
I'll see what I can sort - there may be a single room available - or a shared one. I'll firm up all the rooms in a couple of weeks (after the Ireland trip.)

Ps. Make the sprog pay if he isn't going! That'll teach him to reneig!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had a poddle round yesterday to firm up some of the 'plans' for the rally.
4 couples will be at the Darrington Hotel (clicky linky) from Thursday evening to Monday morning, as well as others staying for shorter periods, so if anyone not staying there fancies calling and having a meal/drink/stay, please let me know so that arrangements can be sorted.

So far, Craven Collection (clicky linky) on Friday the 28th June - lots to see there from Vincent sprint bikes to more modern stuff and lots of classic Jap bikes. Nice run from Darrington Hotel on mainly back roads.
This is the sort of thing there is there - Sprinting Vincents during 'retirement'. (clicky linky) and what he got up to in his spare time.

Saturday 29th should be North Yorkshire Moors railway (clicky linky) at Grosmont where we should be able to see steam engines running and a look round the engine sheds if that's what folks want. For those who don't, they do a nice cuppa and sarnie or bun!
We can have a stop for tea/coffee and a P to break the journey which will be mainly on A roads. After the NYMR stop, onwards to Whitby for Fish 'n' chips, or for the veggies - chips. :lol: Then a nice run back to the Hotel.
Sunday I've planned a run to Elvington Air Museum (clicky linky) and had a very enjoyable chat with a nice young French lady who arranged reduced rates to get in (the museum!). Again lots to see here with several big jets as well as a Halifax bomber and lots of other prop planes. We should be able to get there on mainly back roads, so it will hopefully be a nice run in glorious countryside.

All this is weather dependant of course and I'll have a plan B for each day which of course will end up going through C,D,E and ending up as Plan F, and we all know what that stands for!

Squires biker café (clicky linky) isn't far away from the Darrington Hotel where we will be staying, so probably a visit to there can be tagged on after each day's run if that's what folks want - or not! Thursday evening is 'Classic night' so lots of 2 stroke smoke will be great! Sunday gets busy with lots of classics again as well as other bikes, but always interesting and varied.

I'll be contacting people this week to confirm hotel bookings and collect deposits, but I'll do this via PMs.
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Sounds good Alan. I am planning to come over from Hull on Thursday / Friday or both.

Cheers, H.
teebowbusablaster

Post by teebowbusablaster »

Alan,

good plan, a lot of miles for these old girls though, and the bikes too !
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Several folks asked about a 'seaside' run, so as Whitby is arguably nicest and most varied with reasonable road access, I plumped for that - and the NYMR isn't far away. I can shorten it if people don't want to travel so far, Eden Camp (clicky linky) would be on the route, but I would really like to keep the runs with everyone going to the same places.

If the weather isn't good, it may all change anyway.
Run speeds will be reasonable, so the bikes and riders should be able to cope with normal preparation beforehand, of course!
If anyone has other destination suggestions, please let me know and I'll try to accommodate if possible.

Regarding mileage, we've just done 790 miles in a week in N.Ireland, and a couple of years ago, 1200 miles in a week in Eire, so the bikes will do it, they're not all trailer queens!! :lol:
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:Several folks asked about a 'seaside' run, so as Whitby is arguably nicest and most varied with reasonable road access, I plumped for that - and the NYMR isn't far away. I can shorten it if people don't want to travel so far, Eden Camp (clicky linky) would be on the route, but I would really like to keep the runs with everyone going to the same places.

If the weather isn't good, it may all change anyway.
Run speeds will be reasonable, so the bikes and riders should be able to cope with normal preparation beforehand, of course!
If anyone has other destination suggestions, please let me know and I'll try to accommodate if possible.

Regarding mileage, we've just done 790 miles in a week in N.Ireland, and a couple of years ago, 1200 miles in a week in Eire, so the bikes will do it, they're not all trailer queens!! :lol:
Whitby is one of the nicest spots on the East Coast of Yorkshire, plus for bikers the Whistle Stop Café is excellent for parking bikes right in the centre. A great itinerary to showcase Yorkshire Alan. Wish I could do the whole weekend.

Baz - there are some great photo opportunities on the North Yorks Moors, Heartbeat country.

H
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

Bugger thought you were doing Craven collection on Sunday :cry:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »