Lincolnshire rally 2020

stevewharton

Re: Lincolnshire rally 2020

Post by stevewharton »

Been to Devils Bridge many times, but never on a bike :?:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Up to about 10 years ago, we used to go up to Capernwray Dive Centre near Over Kellet M6 J35) and call at Devil's Bridge on the way back to dive the River Lune under the bridge. Great fun when the river was in full spate!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

Unfortunately going to have to drop out of rally this year as uk z1300s running their first rally so want to support them . Sorry about that Steve
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Stick to triples.
Twice as much fun with half the cylinders - but still fire 6 times every 2 engine revolutions!!!
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

stevewharton wrote:
stevewharton wrote:
Alan H wrote:I'm sure you have it all under control Steve. Image
Well under control Alan, in fact I think I've found the ideal venue for our 2020 rally :D
After lots of time wasting with unanswered calls and emails, answerphone messages left and not replied to and endlessly scanning tinternet, I've finally stumbled upon what I think is a little gem. Nestled in the heart of the Lincolnshire wolds, in what is described as having some of the best biking roads Lincolnshire has to offer, the Holcombe guest house in the village of Barnetby-le-Wold has I believe everything that we need.
Diane and myself have been and had a look today and it certainly fits the bill, it has four different buildings which can easily accomodate all who want to attend, prices start at £50 per night for a double en suite room down to £27.50 per night for a standard single room. A full english breakfast costs £7.50, a continental breakfast £5 and evening meals can be pre booked.
The largest building has 4 double/twin rooms and 8 single rooms, the second building has 5 twin rooms and 4 singles and a large secure car park for the bikes, the third building has a double and two singles and a large lounge, there is a fourth building if demand is high and some of the rooms have self catering facilities if required.
The one and only box that isn't ticked is there's no bar :o but don't panic, there's a pub with a restaurant a stones throw away and if you'd like to have a tipple in the guest house lounge, there's a licensed convenience store right next door. There's a fish and chip shop also next door and a chinese take away that delivers and if it has to be an authentic indian curry, the town of Brigg is not too far away. So If I haven't sold it to you by now have a look at the website and judge for yourself, but as I said I've been there myself today and can firmly recommend it to you.
The very nice manageress Sharon has advised that it would be better to contact the Holcombe guest house direct, to discuss exactly which type of room/building you require and to obtain the above rates, the telephone number is 07850764002 and to mention my name and that it's for the bike club when booking. The dates are Thursday 25th, Friday 26th and Saturday 27th June 2020, but if you want to stay longer or less discuss this with Sharon. I don't need to tell you that the quicker you make your booking the better the chance that we'll all be closer together and will all get in before someone else books it ahead of us and Sharon advises that when booking, for a small fee you can cancel if necessary up to 24 hours before your date.
I think I've covered everything but no doubt there may be something I've missed or a question you might want to ask, if so ask Sharon or you can call me on 07767854997 Finally, although it is very early days (I do like to be organised :roll: ) I have started to compile a list of rideouts for each day, starting Thursday when most of us should arrive, so expect a trip to the seaside complete with fish and chips, a trip to an exciting bike track, something for the aeroplane fans, a trip over one of the worlds longest single span bridges, a couple of local bike meets and some fantastic roads to ride, all dependent on the weather of course.
Please keep me updated with the days you plan to attend and also please let me know when you've booked the guest house.
Best regards, Steve Wharton.
Re' the above, here's the latest update.
So far we have 6 members+1 booked in for either 2, 3 or 4 nights at the guest house, but with some of the regular rally guys on holiday right now, I'm expecting that number to rise soon.
Booked in so far are.
Me + Diane? - Thurs' Fri' Sat' Sun'.
Alan + Lynn - Thurs' Fri' Sat' Sun'.
Baz + Carmy - Thurs' Fri' Sat' Sun'.
Paul + Debbie - Thurs' Fri' Sat'.
Dutch + Chris - Fri' Sat'.
Peterg + Kez - Fri' Sat'.

If you are thinking of coming to the 2020 rally and need a double/twin room, I'd recommend booking now before they all go, there's plenty of single rooms, en suite or not still available. I've booked my room today (no money taken until you arrive for the rally) and paid a small fee so I can cancel the booking up to 12 noon on the day before, so if you book now but can't make the rally, not a massive problem. When booking ask for Big Sharon :o or If you don't want a thick ear, Sharon Smith, she's the lady I spoke to when I visited and knows exactly what's what.
Cheers, Steve W.
P.S. I've persuaded Diane to join us on the rally :D

Okay guys, here's the up to date revised list of attendees after Haggler + 1 has cancelled. Looking a bit thin on the ground I know, but do bear in mind that several members have told me that they're local and will be coming just for the ride outs, plus there's still plenty of time for any late deciders to join the list. This may unfortunately include anyone like me, who had plans to travel abroad and who may now be forced to cancel their plans, due to the coronavirus issue. :?
Of course the pandemic could get worse (12 to 14 weeks for the peak to be reached, was suggested yesterday by the governments chief medical officer), so that takes us right up to our rally dates. Hopefully this won't spoil our plans, but I will keep you all well informed about places and venues that will be on the four day itinerary and any changes that may have to be made.
I'll post the full list of ride outs a bit nearer the time of the rally and anyone who's thinking about joining us, you can find all the details for booking at the top of this post. :D
Cheers, Steve Wharton.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Thanks for the update Steve.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Haggler wrote:Unfortunately going to have to drop out of rally this year as uk z1300s running their first rally so want to support them . Sorry about that Steve
Thanks for letting me know Haggler.

Steve W.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

stevewharton wrote:Anyone who has a holiday abroad booked for late June, which you may have to cancel because of the coronavirus outbreak, (like I've just had to do :cry: ) look on the bright side, you'll now be able to come to the Lincolnshire rally instead. :P
Hi everyone, well I've been putting this off for a while, but I guess you all know by now that due to the worlds ongoing coronavirus situation, It's looking unlikely that our 2020 rally will take place. I know it's still three months before we're due to meet up, but I think it's safe to say that this one isn't going away anytime soon, unless you believe Donald Trump who says he's going to have it beat by Easter, (what an utter t**t) sorry, only my opinion.
I've been in touch with the guest house manager and she told me that they've been ordered to stay closed until the end of April at least. so my advice is don't cancel your booking just yet, wait until a bit nearer the date of arrival when we may have a better idea about how things are progressing. If the situation has improved we may be able to make alternative arrangements with the guest house for later in the year, say September time. Whatever happens I will keep you all updated with any news as soon as I know myself.
Keep safe and a big thumbs up to the NHS.
Steve Wharton.
P.S. If you didn't know already, the Lincolnshire bike nights including South Leverton have all been cancelled for 2020. :(
Rhencullen

Post by Rhencullen »

Just as Spring approaches and everybody get ready for a new season - this happens :cry:

Fingers crossed something can be salvaged later Steve.
1977 Suzuki GT750B - 2003 Honda CB1300 - 1979 Honda CBX1000
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, my garden looks great.
Mind you, it orter with all the attention it's been getting.......