Stahlbus Bleeder Valve M7x1.0x16mm?

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Syd

Stahlbus Bleeder Valve M7x1.0x16mm?

Post by Syd »

Hello and Merry Xmas

I would be keen to know if anyone used one of these front brake bleeder valves on a GT550 with success?

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/st ... e/10002856
arthur

Re: Stahlbus Bleeder Valve M7x1.0x16mm?

Post by arthur »

I always use the reverse bleeding method,
Get yourself a big old animal syringe from your local farm supplies ( cost about £1.00 )
and a bit of rubber pipe .
Fill the syringe with brake fluid stick the tube on the open bleed nipple and pump the brake line full of fluid Probably start on the left hand side (longest side?) then switch to the to the right hand side make sure the master cylinder top is off and has enough room for the fluid to flow into.
JOBS A GOOD UN!!!
slosher

Post by slosher »

arthur wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:10 pm I always use the reverse bleeding method,
Get yourself a big old animal syringe from your local farm supplies ( cost about £1.00 )
and a bit of rubber pipe .
Fill the syringe with brake fluid stick the tube on the open bleed nipple and pump the brake line full of fluid Probably start on the left hand side (longest side?) then switch to the to the right hand side make sure the master cylinder top is off and has enough room for the fluid to flow into.
JOBS A GOOD UN!!!
+1 with Arthur on this one works a treat for me too :)
Even better if it's a single disc Syd on your 550
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks for the info chaps. The problem I have is the brake caliper has be reconditioned with a new piston kit and powder coated etc and looks spot on, however I have just found that the 7mm internal thread for the bleeder is slightly damaged. I finally got the bleeder to seal and seat using some Loctite 55 thread sealer cord, however not the best long term solution and I don't want to tear down the caliper to fit a new thread insert.

My thinking is to fit a Stahlbus Bleeder Valve M7x1.0 into the caliper with a brake fluid resistant thread sealing compound adhesive for fittings to hold it in place and I would then have a new bleed valve. The Stahlbus Bleeder Valve M7x1.0 looks like a good fit to solve my problem
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi Syd just a thought before you purchase.
Are the Stahlbus valves S/Steel :?: because i fitted S/Steel bleed nipples to the Kettle once and both leaked bad.
Stainless steel male threads tend to be a little down on effective diameters by replacing the original mild steel zinc platted ones no leeekie :)
Zinc platting will up the thread diameters slightly galvanised even better ;)

PS my calipers are still in original condition with original internal threads

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks Dave, good point you have raised which I will check out further