GT750 Vallelunga

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Wolfgangh

GT750 Vallelunga

Post by Wolfgangh »

Hi friends, I just joined this forum. I am located in Vienna/Austria, and have restored or custom built a couple of twostroke bikes in my life. Amongst them is a stock GT750A and a BIMOTA HB1 replica with GT750 engine. I recently purchased a truck load full of GT750 parts, enough to build at least 2 complete bikes if I wanted. Out of these, I have the idea to build a replica of the Vallelunga GT750 made by SAIAD Italy.
I have intensively searched the web for pictures and information, nothing more to find yet. I still have no idea how the fairing mount to frame/headstock was made, if anyone has pictures or information about this I would highly appreciate this. I assume the mounts have only been bolted or clamped onto the frame, not welded.
Thanks and cheers

Wolfgang
873D56B6-3FAD-44A3-97FB-5EBEFED47E4A.jpeg
873D56B6-3FAD-44A3-97FB-5EBEFED47E4A.jpeg
Attachments
A6A3F296-1C62-4253-80DB-67E70C29DB9A.jpeg
Alan H

Re: GT750 Vallelunga

Post by Alan H »

Welcome in Wolfgang, I'm sure someone will 'ride by' with info soon.
In the meantime - have you seen this page on OJB? - https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... -A52#valle
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Hi Wolfgang.
You can see the front fairing bracket shape in this picture. If you look closely, you can see where it is welded to the steering tube (just below / left of the lower front brake hose union)
There appears to be a triangulated bracket below this attachment which looks like it is bolted on.
Not sure why the steering tube is black at the bottom and silver / bare metal above the bracket?

There is also a mounting bracket behind the steering head that attaches to the ends of the windshield part of the fairing.
The fairing sides are also supported but not sure how.
Hope this helps.
More information here:-

https://www.moto.it/news/suzuki-gt-750- ... ni-70.html

Your Bimota GT750 remains my all time favourite custom build.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

gary55,

I hadn't seen that site before. Someone did a nice job of documenting the restoration. and there's a couple of shots of the brackets that Wolfgang was looking for.

It would have been nice to see how he pulled all the dents out of those pipes. I have a few sets of old pipes with some small and some not so small dents that need to be pulled. At the moment, rolling replacement cones looks like the simplest solution.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

On car repairing (dents) they can spot weld a thin rod to the dent centre & 'pull' it out.
Cut the rod off & rub down & the job's a good 'un.
I daresay there will be something on utube on the subject.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Wolfgang - I may be wrong about it being welded to the headstock - the silver part on the steering tube looks like a cast tubular clamp that bolts around the steering tube as there is a bolt end showing from a threaded casting, with another (mostly obscured by the brake cylinder) above it. That would necessitate the actual bracket itself to be of aluminium construction too.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
Wolfgangh

Post by Wolfgangh »

Garry, Allan, teazer,
thank you very much for your efforts to help me with information. That one picture showing the fairing mount clamped to the headstock is exactly the missing link, all I needed. I am glad you like my BIMOTA, I love it too every time I look at it. With moderate tuning it is pulling 71 RWHP at the wheel, but actually feels much stronger than that. Weight is down to slightly below 200kg with all fluids in. I am still using VERY heavy Kawasaki wheels and brake disks, if I bite the bullet and invest into lighter Marvic or PVM wheels the same style and lighter disks I could shave offanother few kg.

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted about my next steps re: VALLELUNGA Project