These used to be £100 out of a shed in bits

Post by oldbiker »

A gt550. Times have changes. Deep pockets required

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285725166349 ... SweIplZITV

ob
Alan H

Re: These used to be £100 out of a shed in bits

Post by Alan H »

Of course, anything is really 'worth' what someone is prepared to pay, but I can't see that being a good investment as it's quoted in the blurb, as that means it will be sold at a profit eventually.
£16000 for the rebuild? Jeez. Would anyone be brave enough to ride it?
And to put it into perspective, my first GT550 , a J bought in August 1972 and purported to be the first privately registered and owned one after the 'official' Suzuki UK press bikes, cost £610 on the road....
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
badgereng

Post by badgereng »

Stunning bike. Whoever built it deserves credit for the effort that’s been put into it.
Quality like that comes with a price tag, the market will decide how much it sells for.
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

Lovely looking bike, did I read on here that the exhausts are not in great condition? I'm sure someone on this forum knows the bike :?:

If it's as good as it looks (like new) then probably worth the money especially when you consider RD400s and 350LCs are attracting similar prices ;)
Just my thoughts :roll:
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

It's well known on the forum. It was my bike until late 2022. Its only done a handful of miles since I sold it. Alan knows it well, having worked on it along with Baz prior to my ownership. It's not had £16k spent on it, and there is no documentation to show that.

Paul
Attachments
Screenshot_20240226-190744_Gallery.jpg
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
oldbiker

Post by oldbiker »

Yes, it's an impressive machine. Very clean and bright. Could you ever use it??. Would it still look as good and be worth the money with another 8k miles on it?. My 1st gt550 came out of a shed with a duff engine and cost about £300 quid. I might have spent another £800 on it since. It's not a show bike but works fine.
Is a £11k bike really an investment for the future?. Maybe a few of them will be?.

OB
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

I personally would not buy a motorcycle for investment purposes having said that some of us have been lucky with buying at the right time for the right price and now in the position of having made an unintentional investment.
Prices are still relatively high but I hear the so called 'bubble' has burst. They need to be ridden and enjoyed...................I'd like to ride and enjoy a shiny GT550 8-)