Thinking about engine rebuild

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
susej1981

Thinking about engine rebuild

Post by susej1981 »

Hi everyone,

I had thoughts recently about rebuilding the engine on my Kettle. It's been running well since buying it four years ago, but prior to me buying it- it was an all original untouched bike with nothing serviced on it. The main thing driving me to rebuild it is to beautify the engine case halves through vapor blasting, but would want to address the crank seals.

The compression on the bike is great and never noticed the crank seals ever giving me an issue (though they're definitely old and in need of replacement). The gaskets are in need of replacement as some weep oil slowly.

While I’m handy with a wrench and already have the engine entirely out (frame stripped bare and is being powdercoated)- how big of an undertaking is this?

If I decide to go through with rebuilding it- what should I replace? I definitely had the following in mind
- All gaskets
- Head bolts (Old ones are rusty)
- Possibly water pump gear if cracked
- Possibly clutch plates if worn (bike only has 10k miles)

Other related questions about a potential rebuild:

1. Do I need to replace the piston rings/pistons if the compression is good/pieces look to be in good shape?
2. Should I replace the engine bearings/races/conrod roller bearings?
3. I Imagine replacing the middle crankshaft seals means pressing the crank apart and needing it to be rebalanced/tolerances checked by a professional correct?
4. What brand of crankshaft seals should I buy (brands to buy/stay away from ex. cruzinimage)?
5. As well, do the cylinder walls need to be rehoned during the rebuild (or only if the crosshatching marks aren't showing/new piston rings are installed?)

Best,

susej1981 from Chicago, Illinois USA