The full set

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

The full set

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
Like a madman, I bid on the pair of Plymouth based GT550s and just won them. Shame I have so little time to get stuck into them for a while. But too good an opportunity to pass up. Fortunately I have a big shed where they will be safe until I get a quieter time to have a play.
One will eventually earn its place between the GT380B and the GT750A. I didn't want two 550s but that was a condition of the auction. I'll sell on the other in time.
Cheers!
Mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330703477391? ... 500wt_1076
Item number 330703477391
mick 63

Re: The full set

Post by mick 63 »

Nice find Mike , you should be able to make one good one out of those 2, and make some money back selling what you dont want/ need,

good luck with the resto when you get started and dont forget to keep us posted with plenty of photos, cheers Mick.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Glenn,
My wife already thinks I'm mad and was pleased when I sold the black GT750B last summer (I believe she thought I might be going into remission :-)
I told her these 550s were an investment. Quite true, in my time and money. Of course she thought I meant as in 'making money' but I never said that did I?
The blue B does look tidy but I am guessing someone has already done some restoration because (i) its too good to be original and (ii) the headlamp is I think a chrome bowl which B's didn't have! Both bikes have pattern front fenders. Seat cover isn't right on the B I think and has no trim. Other than that its a good starting point for some fun. I don't know what I will do with the A yet....
Might be a few weeks before I can get them home because I'm away on business for most of next week then on hols, and the bike delivery guys can't guarantee a specified date. I'm not driving to Plymouth and back with a van - I don't know when I will next get a whole free (long) day to do that in anyway! I've used these chaps a few times and already spoken to them. £225 delivered can't be beaten if I add up van hire + diesel for a 500mile round trip for doing it myself http://www.motorcycledeliveryuk.co.uk/
Thanks for the info on a few spares - bound to be in touch!
Any common problems to watch for with 550s of A and B vintage? the usual answer apart from crank seals (I am assuming I will be having the motor out on at least the one I plan to treat and keep) seems to be starter systems on early bikes?
Cheers,
Mike
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Well folks,
The ebay mad buy bikes arrived from Plymouth April 5th while I was sunning myself in Spain (got back yesterday). Hats off to the guys at http://www.motorcycledeliveryuk.co.uk/ - faultless service, as ever. Strongly recommended.

I'd guessed the batteries would be missing or dead (one of each as it happened) so I also have a new Motobatt MF from Busters ready to install.

The blue B has tired but original paint, low miles (12K), one key fits all, and pretty much all there. Even the clock faces are nice condition, brown B type. I have the V5 and frame / engine check out as an April 77 UK machine and are right for a B (first thing I checked after my last mongrel cockup when I paid too much for a 750'B' with an A motor!). The only things that are confirmed as U/s are gear position LED and something odd with the parking lamp (always on with ignition). Not tried to run it, but it lopped over quietly on the near-dead battery. No MOT but DVLA vehicle enquiry says it was last taxed late 2008 and numbers all check out.

The red A is seriously tired but it was almost free. No seat, no inner rear mudguard, rear mudguard in pieces with rust, nasty paint on the cases, leaking forks, bald tyres, loads of rust. But it also turns over OK and doesn't look dropped. The paint is original though in very poor nick. No V5 but DVLA online recognises the P plate as 'real' and frame number matches DVLA record. Anyone know how easy it will be to get a replacement V5? last owner says he never taxed it so the last transfer was all pre-computer (15y ago).

Tomorrow I'll have a go at recommissioning the B - now parked next to a pristine 380B in my workshop. The 550A is outside under a tarpaulin!

Plan is to nick the best bits for refinishing from the A, get it MOT'd and then pull it all apart as needed for a winter 2012 project.

Work is keeping me from getting stuck in as fast as I'd like but I'll keep you posted and will no doubt have lots of questions for those who know about 550 - I know that several of you do - thank heavens. What a good site this is.

Exciting times!
Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
GT550s arrived April 2012011 (Large).jpg
GT550s arrived April 2012009 (Large).jpg
GT550s arrived April 2012008 (Large).jpg
GT550s arrived April 2012007 (Large).jpg
GT550s arrived April 2012003 (Large).jpg
GT550s arrived April 2012002 (Large).jpg