Chrome engine covers

mark.read3

Re: Chrome engine covers

Post by mark.read3 »

1531 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts lads, bought a 3 HP polishing machine give it a go in the warmer weather.
Ooooh , your going to have some fun doing those.

Post by 1531 »

Got a bit dirty doing me Zed ones a few years ago ha ha
Attachments
image.jpg
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

I thought that was normal with Birmingham air pollution.
Oldbeancanopener

Post by Oldbeancanopener »

I thought that was a normal complexion for a large section of the Birmingham community.

Bill
didge

Post by didge »

Who remembers the Black and White minstrel show ? ;-)
ogri211

Post by ogri211 »

I recently bought a GT750 A in bits and the previous owner has went a bit mad with the chroming, as you say it looks crap and is starting to flake off has anyone successfully removed the chrome and restored the parts back to the plain alloy for polishing and if so what methods did you use.

Thanks in advance
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Ogri, I will be having the Chrome removed from some alloy casing soon: its too nasty for me to do "at home", as you'll need to strip the Chrome using muriatic (or weak hydrochloric) acid, which for me is too much of a pain for a one off job. I am taking mine to my usual Chromer, who is going to strip them and mirror polish the alloy back to shiny goodness for me :-)
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Don't forget to remove the bearings first!
heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe »

Respectfully you are on a "hiding to nothing" with that one, you are far, far better off having alloy items like these polished to a high degree, Alloy does NOT take to being chromed AT ALL,
the net result is it chips off believe me this WILL happen at some stage later because Chrome CANT stick properly to alloy period.,! , it then it looks a mess, clever manufacturers of motorcycles have made this mistake previously,I have had the experience of having to remove it when it turns into a "mess" on other model machines and cursed the Manufacturer for doing it in the first place. a bad idea all round trying to chrome alloy is my opinion. removing the chipped chromed surface from alloy is an expensive nightmare,!!
id have a long THINK about that one before spending hard earned money on this one, polishing it up is a far better a solution the end result is the same. you get a very bright shiny surface which is the idea to start with.and it doesent cost the same either.,!!
Glenn.
Attachments
Polished Alloy engine casing's.
Polished Alloy engine casing's.
49.JPG