Zinc plating

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
strokernut

Zinc plating

Post by strokernut »

I was browsing through some of the old postings when I noticed an enquiry about zinc plating (last July). I bought a kit about 18 months ago because there's no plating firms in my area (Oxfordshire) and I thought it would be convenient to do it at home. The Caswell kit was mentioned, but I bought another make on Ebay. To sum up, don't waste your time and money. The home kits don't use cyanide, so it's not really dangerous, but it's hellishly time consuming and I wish I hadn't bothered. As some of you said, you can get it done very cheaply and it usually turns out well. I took a load of bits to a West Country firm last week - it should be done by next week so I'll keep you posted if anybody's interested.