The last one

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Alan H

The last one

Post by Alan H »

Until I get another of course!

Popped into 'work' this morning and got the 'new' 550 running. Only running on 2 and a bit as the plugs are wrong and knackered, but hey ho, it's alive!
So it's on a Q plate and 'built from parts' according to the V5 but....
It's a 75/6 frame with a '72 engine only 14 numbers away from what the missing engine from my J should have according to the J V5, so that's where the engine will be going. Forks look very pretty, so they'll be going on the A instead of the RE5 forks that I intended fitting after refurb. Rear shocks look nearly new and lots of other bits that will come in handy so Woo and a bit of Hoo as well.
The carbs seem very rich and I expect the smoke will clear eventually - good job there isn't a detector in the workshop!!
Here's some pics - see if you can spot the wrong bits. Gear indicator doesn't work - probably as it's an early engine without the sender fitted, electric start tries but needs looking at - probably weak springs etc. which I have some spares of. I must admit though, I do love that tank colour.
Attachments
engine R.JPG
engine L.JPG
tank.JPG
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Re: The last one

Post by Alan H »

And a few more
Clicky on the piccy and it grows just like magic!!
Attachments
right.JPG
left.JPG
frontish.JPG
astrax

Post by astrax »

Have to agree Alan, the red does very look nice.

But I do also like your artistic skills that you have done to the photo over the cardboard box ;)
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

astrax wrote:Have to agree Alan, the red does very look nice.

But I do also like your artistic skills that you have done to the photo over the cardboard box ;)
:lol: Alan's attempt at covering up some "naughty words" ?
Alan,when are you going to get a "Watercooled" one ?
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, Spondon did a 500 water cooled conversion for the 380, but I never heard of a water cooled 550.

Hmmm. Now there's a thought for a project..........
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

That looks fun, Alan! carbs may be leaking throttle the goo where the arm boots once were, which doesn't help low speed running?
If this one donates its J motor, what if anything is it getting?
Cheers,
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I've got a set of separate carbs for the motor Mike and those will go in the 'refurb some day' box. All I was bothered about was that it actually ran. I'll put some new 7s in next week and get the centre pot firing better, then strip it during winter.
The forks will go on the A, and some other bits too, I have a couple of spare engines that may be more relevant to that year frame, so I'll see if I can make up a 'proper' bike, but it will be sold on then.
I think keeping and running three complete refurbs will keep me occupied for a long time! :shock:
It felt good to run all three 550s today (at different times).
Must get moving on the A, but I'm trying to smarten up a rack so that I can fit a top box for Sunday's jaunt to Donington. It's tatty, but will do short term until I get a load of stuff ready for the chromers/polishers in the next few weeks after the weather goes plop.
No end to it is there?
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,

No indeed - its a labour of love or madness or summat!

Today I had the GT380B running for 15min, and its such a lovely bike (unusually, its rewarded my hard work and ££). Easily starts, idles at 1000rpm like a swishy thing with a cheerful popping exhaust note. Later, took the GT750A for a late PM thrash for about 25miles and had there been a bit less traffic, I'd have squeezed the ton, but decided to ease back as I could not tell what that car was rushing up behind me...... The garage still smells good :-)

One of these flippin' weeks I'll have my GT550B top end back from the engineer though I'm not holing my breath that its be quieter as 'they didn't find anything wrong with the clearances' (my arse).

Keep on 550-ing!

Mike
andygt750m

Post by andygt750m »

The red looks like candy rose Alan , same as my ap50 8-)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

astrax wrote:I do also like your artistic skills that you have done to the photo over the cardboard box ;)
I try to avoid any identification with work. You know how sensetive I am so I try to avoid any upsets..........