CYLINDER STUD BOLTS

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
didge

CYLINDER STUD BOLTS

Post by didge »

I've got a set of Cylinder stud bolts that go through the barrels and are attatched to the lower crankcase, my question is, do they come out ok normally or are the old ones better off just left where they are.

I'd sit down and cry if I tried to take one out and the crankcase shattered or a lump came off.
BAZ

Re: CYLINDER STUD BOLTS

Post by BAZ »

This should not be a problem. But with your luck!!!!!!!
didge

Post by didge »

Cheers Baz, nothing like a bitta confidence (and that's nothing like a bitta confidence!!)
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

If its all in bits already, and you do want them out, try gentle heat and a 50:50 mix of acetone/ATF fluid between heat cycles 4-5 times. Nail varnish remover serves as source of acetone. I thought it was a bit mad when I heard about it, but its one of the best penetrating/releasing formulae known to man. And, I can personally recommend it for removing 30 year rusted on exhaust collars on a Kettle. I managed to rescue all 3 on this project, whereas I cut 2 off on my GT380B project.
That said, if it aint broke....
Good luck Didge!
MikeY
two-stroke-brit

Post by two-stroke-brit »

i have just got mine out of a 73 gt750 but with gentle heat penetrating fluid a large buddie to hold the cases down and a decent pipe wrench (stillsons) they will come out. its just scary until they give a bit then your off to the races.
good luck mark
gustheammer

Post by gustheammer »

i am following this topic with interest. when the studs are out where can you purchase them crooks perhaps?
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Phil Denton did me a set two years ago in stainless, just pulled them out again still look like new. www.phildentonengineering.com
gustheammer

Post by gustheammer »

thanks for that
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Yeah, Crooks do them. Replaced 3 on an engine i did last year because some pillock had decided to torque the bolts down waaay too much to try and stop a leak and managed to stretch the threads on them , quite a common thing by the looks of it.