Handlebars

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
thos539

Handlebars

Post by thos539 »

Hi Folks,
I seem to remember reading a thread refering to the "rise" measurement on the handlebars, But I can't find it.
If i remember the refrence was to 4 inch and 6 inch rise in the bars.Is that because one was Uk spec and the other US?
I know that many of the other bikes :eg Honda had a larger rise on the US bikes.
Does this in turn mean that the brake lines and control cables were longer for the US spec?
In my catalogue I can get a good quality UK made set of bars for a fraction of the price of the genuine article but would need to know the rise as it does not list an alternative for UK/US bikes.
Any body out there in the know?
Many thanks.
Tom
oldjapanesebikes

Re: Handlebars

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I know that there are folks who claim otherwise, but per the parts manuals, there was only one standard spec set of bars for these which was 56111-31000 globally. There was an optional set of bars offered for the L through B models - part 56111-33600 which was lower, and yes, shorter cables were offered for this. 58300-31620 and 58300-31610 for the throttle and 58200-31600 for the clutch. They were about 70 mm shorter over all. Although I have the UK specific parts listings (E2 export category), nothing is shown for bars so there are at least two possibilities: Suzuki kept poor records (and we know this is true in other instances so it is quite probable) and secondly that the UK distributor made their own UK specification. That would not be unlike what you see Watsonian doing to the Royal Enfields as I think there are now at least two UK only variants being offered.

It would be useful if someone were able to share an actual order sheet for the UK models, as that would help to clarify things.
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
thos539

Post by thos539 »

I have looked at the bikes that are for auction on ebay as many are imports from the US and looking at the pics there is most certainly a difference in many of the bars, of course this doesn't take into account that the last owner may have changed them. I have a 72 CB 500/4 Honda and the bars are just one of many items that were not the same for the european market.I guess that since I am not looking for a "out of the factory" restoration then what feels right will be ok.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

thos539 wrote:I have looked at the bikes that are for auction on ebay as many are imports from the US and looking at the pics there is most certainly a difference in many of the bars
True - as an example, many of the folks locally here in Calgary use non-stock, lower rise bars on theirs to avoid the 'sit up and beg' seating position. After 35+ years, it seems reasonable to expect to see a lot of variation.
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

mandp do Gt bars that will fit if you are on a budget,2sj.
thos539 wrote:I have looked at the bikes that are for auction on ebay as many are imports from the US and looking at the pics there is most certainly a difference in many of the bars, of course this doesn't take into account that the last owner may have changed them. I have a 72 CB 500/4 Honda and the bars are just one of many items that were not the same for the european market.I guess that since I am not looking for a "out of the factory" restoration then what feels right will be ok.
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny