I finally got around to it

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

I finally got around to it

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Heres a photo of some restored RG500 gauges being refitted to one of my bikes. I've been trying to get around to doing these for this particular bike since around 2014, but last week it finally happened.
The fuel/temp gauge is not stock for export bikes, it was only fitted to JDM models on the 400, however I want it on my bikes so I can monitor the gas level.
The Japanese script for 'speed warning' on the panel will also be updated to become the side stand light and the wiring has already been sorted for this.
IMG_0946.JPG
Two strokes, its just that simple.
yeadon_m

Re: I finally got around to it

Post by yeadon_m »

Lovely job, Allan.
Personally, I like the Japanese script. Perhaps you could imagine it says 'side stand' :-)
Mike
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for your comment Mike, the RG gauges are fun to work on if such a thing can be said about gauge restoration. Heres some more fun things to look at.
RG500 gauge cups.JPG
Gauge cups after being restored and new interior paint added.
RG500 gauge cups 1.JPG
Exteriors also now in new paint.
IMG_0931.JPG
Mechanisms cleaned, serviced, calibrated and with the needles back in the correct colour.
IMG_0941.JPG
Back in the cases and sealed up.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Simply stunning! you sir are an artist 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for your comment on my work Paul . Now the bike is all back together with a restored fairing bracket, new sponge surround, restored gauges and gauge mounts and stainless hardware, it looks like 1986 all over again.
I also had the job of restoring this UK spec RG500 speedometer for a friend, it now looks superb again. It had a few issues, including a bouncing needle and being inaccurate, its now restored and working perfectly.
IMG_0972.JPG
Gauges looking like new again
IMG_0983.JPG
Speedometer inner components during the strip down
IMG_0982.JPG
Gauge body with newly painted white interior.
Jim Cannon USA 2.JPG
Now completely restored