Before and After

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
swarrans

Before and After

Post by swarrans »

I purchased this one owner UK GT750A from a friend of a friend for a low price and even though I have tried to be sensible about costs have still spent about £5,000 so far.
I have no desire to have a completely immaculate bike that I never dare ride so all that I am planning to do next is the brake calipers and switch gear.
But I really enjoy riding it ("like I stole it" my mate on his modern BMW said) and it goes pretty well - easily does "the ton" where appropriate but is lovely and smooth and has very good low down torque - easily pulls from 2,000 rpm in top.

As some of you may know I did a lot of the chroming myself (although the pipes are Delkevics rather than the originals) so I saved a bit of money there but it is still amazing how much cash you can sink into these things!

I was (pleasantly) surprised that the engine seals weren't knackered after sitting for years so I haven't done anything on the engine other than clear the mouse nests out (honest) polish it a bit and sort the carbs out. There must still be something wrong carb wise because on cold start the centre exhaust stays cold - but clearly it must be running OK once warm as it goes well and all three get hot.

Anyway, I know it's not amazing like some of the bikes on here but it works for me and I'm actually doing quite a few miles on it re-living my teenage years!

Simon
mick 63

Re: Before and After

Post by mick 63 »

Nice job you have done on your bike Simon , my bike is similar to yours its presentable and gets ridden ;) chers Mick.
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

Nice one simon, i did exactly the same as you back in March, but its funny how you can get strangely addicted to removing parts and either polishing or renewing them.
Great fun though, better than watching x factor. I think i might do a strip down during the winter months and get the frame powder coated, they look so much better with a shiny frame.
20160720_121658.jpg
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:P Hi,money !!!! your not wrong,their do tend to suck it up with replacing this & that.I like the stainless bits & pieces they go so well with the polished aluminium !! The bike may look like a bit of a show pony but does nearly 8,000km a year,last weekend she did around 420km 8-)
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

I think the bike might just stay cleaner on the roads in yer neck of the woods Roger, all that fun in the sun!!!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Simon,

The bike's looking great and yes, I recall on a quick test ride on your bike that the motor feels like a smooth thing. I'd love to hear your Delkevic's in the metal some time, so - as I'm at home rather a lot these days - if at any time you fancy pootling down, the kettle's on :-)

Cheers,
Mike
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Sounds like a plan Mike - I'll give you a call sometime soon (I'm on holiday at home next week bricklaying!).
They don't sound as nice as the originals to my ear - a bit noisier and harsher somehow, but I only really noticed immediately after putting them on, now they just sound like a Kettle!

Simon
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Simon,
Great! enjoy the bricks. I'd like to hear more about that, too.
Cheers,
Mike
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Hi Mike,. I'm fed up of bricks and fancy a ride today - are you up for a visit? Could you PM me your address again please as I have lost it

Simon