Petrol Tank Flap KLM model

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
roborm

Petrol Tank Flap KLM model

Post by roborm »

Hello All. My name is Robert, live in Cardiff and have recently joined the ranks of Kettle owners.
I have been trying to source a plastic fuel tank flap for an M model tank but without much success.
I have bought plastic replica parts in the past from a company called Prototype Plastic Components based in Coventry and so phoned Martin, who runs It, to ask if he had made this part or had plans to. He confirmed he could make them but needs a spare flap as a template.
Has anybody got one he could borrow and what are peoples thoughts on demand for this part?
Regards
Robert
BAZ

Re: Petrol Tank Flap KLM model

Post by BAZ »

Welcome to the forum, hopefully somebody will be along soon with one you can borrow. cheers BAZ
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

roborm wrote: ..........what are peoples thoughts on demand for this part?

That may be hard to determine until you know how much it will be, I doubt you/they'd sell that many

I thought you could borrow mine but after retrieving it from the tank in the loft, it looks to be a bit out of shape and doesn't sit level on a flat surface, it's got a hairline crack on the front edge too :( There are no numbers anywhere so I'm wondering if it's a copy too........( Great, something else to fork out for :roll: ) :)
Drew. '75 GT750M
roborm

Post by roborm »

Thanks for looking. That is the problem you will have trouble finding a new one. I will ask how much it is likely to cost.
Cheers Robert.
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

I've been through this sort of thing with other parts Robert and it's usually a case of the manufacturer needing to know how many they can sell before being able to put a price on the item, (or if it's even viable to make any at all), and potential buyers needing to know how much it will cost before saying if they want one.....catch 22.
Not everyone likes pattern parts either, personally, if it's for a bike I'm keeping, I'm not too bothered about originality, if it's a bike I'm restoring to sell, and a lot of older bikes are nowadays, I like to stick to original parts wherever possible. Of course, it depends how easy it is to replace with original parts. I've found plastic parts are a pain as they break so easily and OEM spares soon run out. I'm guessing a lot of these covers stay with the tank when a GT is broken which doesn't help either.
Have you tried a wanted ad on here? You may get lucky.

I found another cover last night in with a box of spares but it's slightly worse than the one that was on the tank sadly. If you think either may be of any use, let me know.

EDIT: Sorry, can't post pics right now, photobucket appears to be down, will try later :(
Drew. '75 GT750M
roborm

Post by roborm »

Thanks again Richard.
I spoke to Martin at the company and he thinks they would be about £12.He only makes plastic parts in small quantities and makes the molds himself which keeps the cost down.
Would be good to see photo of the flap if you can get photobucket to work; may be suitable.
Regards Robert
malky

Post by malky »

Marcel had one of these for sale the other day at the Stafford show- they are quite hard to come by
Mal.
roborm

Post by roborm »

Thank you but who is Marcel? Do you know if it is still for sale and the cost?
Robert
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

He's Marcel Vlaandere:

De Marne 136B
8701MC Bolsward, NL.
e-mail: sales@classicsuzukiparts.nl
http://www.classicsuzukiparts.nl/

Cheers,
Mike
roborm