Re-keying GT lock sets

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Re: Re-keying GT lock sets

Post by yeadon_m »

Ian,
I'd thought about that but in my case I am a lucky chap since the seat and steering lock cylinders were in good order so was able to use them intact.
With the ignition I may re-key my existing switch to match the keyed-alike set. I noticed that the spare switch Suzuki sold me in 1982 does not have the number stamped on the key way, even though it was genuine and the key itself does have a number. So if I rekey that once to match the rest of the locks it will turn with the one key and though it will be numberless on the key way it won't confuse! (the original ignition I bought has a battered key way and probably knackered cylinder anyway hence could be why the key slips out in the 'ON' position, hence reason to considering rekeying an unmarked cylinder).
I wondered if Suzuki sold them unstamped for this reason, to allow ready rekeying? it must have been common for scrotes to attempt to nick these and destroy the ignition switch as happened to me back then.
Final thought - though the tank cap lock does require a key (I think the earliest ones would turn with a blade) I have discovered that every GT key turns all of the cap locks I possess. That is, they are not specific to a key number - does that sound right to you? the lock cylinders do not have 6 brass leaves like seat/steering/ignition, but only one. So I don't even need to swap that cylinder to have it work off my 'new' key.
Cheers!
Mike
astrax

Post by astrax »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
astrax wrote: I have added a bit about, you may not notice the spring loaded brass bit as it may have years of c**p on it. Not sure if it will be of any use to any one except to help me remember in my old age, or next week which ever comes first. Sorry forgot to mention about the key needed to be in.
http://www.astrax.co.uk/bikes/seat_lock.html
Ian
Nicely done Ian ! On my next update, I'd like to add a link to your page from my web site in the 'resources' area if that's OK.
Hi Ian

Yes feel free to link to anything, if any of the info helps, then it was worth doing.

Ian
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Chaps,

Success! I now have a GT380B which for the first time since ~1981 has one key that operates all four locks.

Today I did the nervy job of first rekeying I have ever done. See pic - this is of the donor and recipient ignition locks. Its fiddly but quite logical.

If anyone wants to have a go so as to match up their locks to a single (chosen) key I can help you do it.

Or if there is interest in this I could offer it as a potential service at a charge (tbd). I would only need old key, new key and old locks, plus some time (and of course I will have to collect some old leaves). You will get lock(s) that all respond to one, chosen key.

Its a nice feeling to have just one key on the fob and not some great jailors set like I have had destroying my handlebars last 25000 miles :-)

If I get some time later I might put up a poll to find out how many of you have more than one key number because of lock replacements over the decades. Maybe it is rare to have multiple keys but hunch was its the opposite and you are fortunate if you have only one key number for all locks. Of the 4 GTs I have had, only a single bike was keyed-alike.
One thing I have yet to do is the GT750 tank flap lock but I'll bet its just as doable :-)
Cheers,
A happy MIke
Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
Rekeying1.jpg
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Hi Mike, nice work this is what this forum is excellent for the hands on knowledge, if i remember correctly this started off because you could take the key out of your ignition when it was turned on?, have you managed to cure this know?,

i'm one of the lucky ones i have 1 key fits all 4 locks, but i have the same problem as you had my key comes out when the ignition is on, so i may havea go at sorting it over the winter,

cheers Mick.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Best kettle forum in the UK someone told me today.
Mike, i'll be posting my K set to you in the future if you dont mind... tis only ignition and steering lock.
Mark
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Glad to hear it all worked out Mike !
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Mark - I'd be glad to have a go at re-keying your locks at some point. You can be my practise set :-)) (all will be well)

Mick - yes - the key doesn't come out in the 'ON' position any more, even though I still have only the old key. The wear was in the brass leaves and in the lock barrel more than the key.

Ian - was great fun as a mini-project!

All - it is possible to swap numbered keyway plate (on ignition switch only) but it is a fiddly job involving unknurling the stainless cap in three places, carefully tapping flat all the dints in it, sanding/polishing and reinstalling (and knurling over again).

Here's the finished article which looks and works as good as new. Keyed-alike set is now complete.

Cheers!
Mike
Attachments
rekeying2.jpg
rekeying3.jpg
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Delighted to report all GT380 locks re-keyed and installed. Childishly pleased with this :-))
Note that the tank cap lock isn't number specific even though you do get a new and numbered key with new ones, so if you do this you do not need to swap or rekey the lock. May be different on Kettles as mentioned before.

Now having a go at re-keying a NOS GT750 switch so that my other bike can have as nice a key-action as the GT380. Reiner sold me a NOS key of the number that fits all the locks so all I am going to do is re-key the nice new switch and swap the numbered keyway plate, simples.

Cheers!
Mike
Attachments
rekeying6.jpg
rekeying5.jpg
rekeying4.jpg