Clocks illumination - higher-wattage possible?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Clocks illumination - higher-wattage possible?

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
Has anyone tried to increase the brightness of their GT750 instrument illumination? Do higher wattage same fitment bulbs exist? I have to say I find mine quite dimly lit at night (not that I ride it much at night but have done a couple of evenings recently. I recall well how poorly lit the GT380 instruments were from a while back).
In an idle moment while I have a spare set of GT380 clocks apart I made the following measurements. Those in the GT380 clocks are 12V 3.4W – think same fitment in GT750 clocks, though less in temp gauge?

GT380 clock lamps - 12V 3.4W:
Base is an even-bayonet style, base diameter = 9mm
Overall bulb length = 21mm
Globe diameter 10.5mm
Diameter of push-in hole in clock back = 12.5mm
Depth of push-in hole = 32mm
Length of bulb in fitting, from installed edge at back of clock to top of bulb = 32mm
Can a brighter bulb, say 5W, be sourced? I am aware that even if this is possible, if its overdone it might damage the instruments with extra heat! And that LED lamps are usually poor here because many are unidirectional and do not throw light around the way an incandescent lamp does.
Just a thought, value yours,
Cheers!
Mike
BAZ

Re: Clocks illumination - higher-wattage possible?

Post by BAZ »

keep the engine over 4000 rpm that will give you another 2 volts. or 10% brighter. seriously though what about a LED bulbs!
yeadon_m

Re: Clocks illumination - higher-wattage possible?

Post by yeadon_m »

Mr Cert,
Your n-dimensional non-Euclidian theorem got me thinking - best solution is a modified miners helmet with a slightly lower-angle lamp on top. When I glance down I'll illuminate my own clocks!

Baz - I don't think LEDs will do it because as far as I know all single element LED lamps don't 'bounce light around' they way incandescent lamps do.

ps: when I find I have woken up and find I am still in the garage, I will finally realise I should get out more :-))