Magnetic madness

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
yeadon_m

Magnetic madness

Post by yeadon_m »

OK folks - so how do you clean the inside of your instrument glass? OK, the smart answer is send to Clock Doc, if you have Kettle clocks.

For the rest of us mortals and esp those with dirty insides to glass on speedo / tacho on GT380/550s, you still have a problem, as they are a right b***** to get apart without destroying them.

I had an old set of clocks from a GT380B and the only thing spoiling them was that something nasty had got onto the inside of the tach glass, enough to make them undesirable.

After a bit of fiddling, I realised if I could dangle a very small washer on a thread through the hole in the back, I could get it to go round the dial and into the front of the instrument. Useless huh? not if you have a low strength magnet. Use that to grab the washer, scrub it a very large number of times very gently across whatever the stuff was and away went the marks. Pull out the thread and washer, reassemble clocks. Perfecto! And a very weird thing to have thought to solve. But I bet they go for £ more now.

BTW, the tacho still works fine - I calibrated before and after by turning it with a drill :-)

Let the p*** take begin....

Cheers,
Mike
mark.read3

Re: Magnetic madness

Post by mark.read3 »

Ingenius Mike ... i'm speechless.
malky

Re: Magnetic madness

Post by malky »

nice one Mike !
My hall way needs decorating but ive lost the front door key any chance you can come over and paper it through the letter box :))

seriously though that was a brilliant way of cleaning the glass - even I wouldnt have thought of that one !!

Mal.