GT750 carburettor refit sequence

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
crazy4557

GT750 carburettor refit sequence

Post by crazy4557 »

It's a really tight fit to get these out so what's the procedure for refitting please? I assume there is an easy route so if you can let me know I'd be very grateful.
1976 GT550A in black
PaulD738

Re: GT750 carburettor refit sequence

Post by PaulD738 »

Not sure on other bikes but on my 750J I find it easier to fit the carbs loose then fit the airbox after, that way there is a bit of extra "wiggle room" before everything is tightened up. It does get easier with practice.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Whatever sequence, use a hair dryer to warm the rubbers and smear a very light coat of oil on the rims of the carb inlet/outlets. It makes life so much easier. Kev
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

+1 on what Kev says ;)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

If you are talking about the later models, and the boots are not new, then I sometimes resort to using a ratchet strap/tie down and a block of wood. Grease the inlets of the warmed boots, loop the ratcheting tie down strap around the barrels and across a small block of wood on the inlet bells of the carburettor rack, and then just ratchet them home gently till they seat. Easy peasy ! 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
Itspieman82

Post by Itspieman82 »

What about trying to refit the compete airbox. What's the proper way when the carbs are already fitted?
1972 GT750J CANDY LAVENDER aka PINK haha
1973 T125 STINGER AZTEC GOLD
1975 GT380M GYPSY RED

What's next??? No-one knows hahahaha hopefully a gt550
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

canaletto5 wrote:Use a hair dryer to warm the rubbers and smear a very light coat of oil on the rims. It makes life so much easier. Kev

:o :shock: :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan that's a bit cheeky,funny never the less 8-)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Me, I spray a little silicone on my finger tips and use that just inside the engine rubbers and also warm them first with a heat gun (care! if you smell burning rubber...).
That helps a lot even with built-up carb sets (all mine are).
Fitting the airbox. The best discovery I made other than to use the heat gun is this. The metal bands used to secure the airbox onto the carbs? loosen them off and slide them rearwards. Now you have soft rubbers without a metal skeleton which previously stopped them flexing far. The whole box goes on easily. If you've repainted your frame and keen not to scratch it, put some paper masking tape on the top right side rail. The airbox is so tight it does scrape there, but the tape will protect it and peels off easily later.
Never feel reluctant to take your 750 carbs off ever again, it needn't be torture!
Mike
ps: its a bit fiddly to push the clamp rings on the airbox rubbers back over the carbs, hence why I suggested loosening them. A poke around with thin, long, plain blade screwdrivers does the trick.
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

My carb rubbers were rock hard when I first tried to get them back on and it was impossible. Then I got Baz's dvd and soaked the rubbers in acetone for a bit and they go lovely and soft and it becomes easy.
Simon
Last edited by swarrans on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.