Tank sealer.

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
canaletto5

Re: Tank sealer.

Post by canaletto5 »

Mix the citric acid with very warm water, it speeds up the action. If its surface rust you are shifting it should only take abour 4 hours.Make sure the tank is kept topped up as it takes a while for all the air to escape. Gently tapping the top of the tank helps. I use a mini fish tank heater in the filler hole if I need to leave it overnight for heavier deposits. If it runs over the paintwork, wash it off with warm soapy water before it dries, it is easier to clean off then. Kev
Danny156

Post by Danny156 »

mizzytheman wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:I have seen posts on facebook that rate this guy. Never used any of the products myself

http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/
Thanks Kev,

I’ll give him a call. Glad you’ve changed your avatar. The previous one was putting me off reading your posts. :D
i had mt gt tank lined by this guy, took a while to come back but a proper job , he says its guaranteed ethanol resistant , mine was rusty inside to the point where i thought it was inevitable it would retrn which i didnt want after having it repainted , it now looks and feels like a coat of plastic inside and im sure it will be less trouble than the rust, i wouldnt attemp it myself , for me it was a pro,s job
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The 'spare' Hippo tank that I had had either two or more liners in and it caused this when it let go.
Tap, camera picture and after most was got out. Rest had to be chemically stripped and cost another paint job.
Liners? I'll never use the stuff again.
Attachments
20170418_173948.jpg
20170414_103233.jpg
20170413_160823.jpg
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

I see another man who doesn't trust that thin, oval tap-sealing rubber and so uses a dab of Hylomar blue!
I think Suzuki recessed it half a mil too far.
Mike
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

canaletto5 wrote:Mix the citric acid with very warm water, it speeds up the action. If its surface rust you are shifting it should only take abour 4 hours.Make sure the tank is kept topped up as it takes a while for all the air to escape. Gently tapping the top of the tank helps. I use a mini fish tank heater in the filler hole if I need to leave it overnight for heavier deposits. If it runs over the paintwork, wash it off with warm soapy water before it dries, it is easier to clean off then. Kev
Hi Gents,

Compared to Oxalic acid, citric acid has done the trick. I may have got he mixing ratios incorrect when I used oxalic but I'm not prepared to try Oxalic again just to prove myself wrong. Finished off with the WD40 and left it for a week whilst I was holiday and returned home Sunday morning at 3:30 am and couldn't resist a little look to see if the rust had stayed at bay. Sure enough as clean as a whistle.

Proof that gents from Derbyshire are smarter than they look. :lol: . Thanks kev.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

You're very welcome Martin. Please note: for best results, the tank must be kept upright at all times.. :D
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

canaletto5 wrote:You're very welcome Martin. Please note: for best results, the tank must be kept upright at all times.. :D
OMG, Paul was right you are spending too much time with Alan H. Suppose it can’t be helped now you are in love. :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

mizzytheman wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:You're very welcome Martin. Please note: for best results, the tank must be kept upright at all times.. :D
OMG, Paul was right you are spending too much time with Alan H. Suppose it can’t be helped now you are in love. :lol:
I may be a tart, but I'm a tart with a pair of GT550 side panel badges :lol: