1977 vehicles now road tax exempt

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
canaletto5

Re: 1977 vehicles now road tax exempt

Post by canaletto5 »

It will be the usual Post Office shambles. Some will know how it works, some won't. Pot luck
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just bin reading up about it. Lots of bumf, and you have to register for 'no MOT required' when the vehicle is about to be taxed.
So I need to get mine tested ('cos it's just run out) and unless I wait until the 21st of May, I can't register for no MOT this time.
So my take on it is that if I tax it (free) for 6 months next week, then in 6 months, I can register for no MOT needed, then I don't need an MOT when I tax it (free again) on 1st October.
A bit of a faff, but that's how it reads to me.
I might have it tested anyway next year, just to annoy 'the system'.
Come on, you lot would expect me to do it and bugger it all up if at all possible!!! :lol:

I did read something that said if there wasn't an MOT on a vehicle (of any age) then there might be a problem proving that the vehicle was roadworthy if it was involved in an accident. Bearing in mind that a MOT is only valid at the time of issue, I can't see that standing up in court, unless the vehicle in question had a loose wheel or something obviously wrong if it was involved in an altercation.

Hmmmm. I wonder if there was a MOT on MIZZY when he did the somersault on his hippo? It couldn't have been the bike's fault, Shirley? :? :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Alan,

MOT doesn’t stand for MALE ORIFICE TESTER.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

mizzytheman wrote:Alan,

It wouldn’t work on him anyway Martin, he’s so tight they wouldn’t be able to test his orifice :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

I'm assuming (hoping?) that filling in the V112 form and taking it to the post office is a one-off and after that point we'll be able to tax at zero cost online without an MoT as I currently can for my pre 1960 vehicle. The current V112 won't work for this change BTW as it doesn't have an exclusion code for 40 year old vehicles so I assume again that the DVLA will update it in time for May 20th...

Simon
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

PaulD738 wrote:

It wouldn’t work on him anyway Martin, he’s so tight they wouldn’t be able to test his orifice :roll:
That’s why he’s the tester. :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

mizzytheman wrote:
PaulD738 wrote:

I'm not the tester. I would be the testee in the example described above, shirley? :?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

[quote="swarrans"]I'm assuming (hoping?) that filling in the V112 form and taking it to the post office is a one-off and after that point we'll be able to tax at zero cost online

Simon,

I spoke to the DVLA recently regarding my Road Tax and they told me it would be a simple process next year and can be done online at no cost, so yes going to the post office is a one off.

Jeff
GT750A
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Dutch wrote:
Simon,

I spoke to the DVLA recently regarding my Road Tax and they told me it would be a simple process next year and can be done online at no cost, so yes going to the post office is a one off.

Jeff
That is great news thanks Jeff. I wonder why they can't write their briefings in a clear, unambiguous way, as (to me at least) it seemed to infer you would need to fill in a V112 every year, which also implied having to go to the post office (which I avoid if at all possible!)
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:
mizzytheman wrote:
PaulD738 wrote:
I'm not the tester. I would be the testee in the example described above, shirley? :?
If you ask me your talking a load of TESTICLES as usual Shirley (see what I did there?)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!