1977 vehicles now road tax exempt

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
750dunc

Re: 1977 vehicles now road tax exempt

Post by 750dunc »

Thought so about it had to have a mot first or you could find any old wreck in the back of a shed and try and ride down the road.
Cheers
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

No it doesn't need to be MoT'd - read the guidelines posted!!!!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

That's my take. You declare it as MOT exempt at the same time.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ap ... -exemption

Read and learn.

But anyone who doesn't have a current MOT 'may' have issues if they have an accident as they won't be able to prove their vehicle has been correctly maintained and is roadworthy.

Choice is yours of course. :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

The DVLA website Alan links to is correct as of now but (I assume) will get updated when we reach the magic date of May 20th to show that 40 year old vehicles don't need an MoT and get free tax. The downloadable V112 needs to be updated then too because it doesn't currently have the appropriate exemption code.

Whether this happens in time for us to rush into our post offices on May 20th remains to be seen, but the intent from the guidance notes seems pretty clear to me.

As to Alan's point about insurance companies and MoTs - I'm sure he's right that some of the barstewards may try and wriggle out of claims but I'm pretty convinced that the classic insurers who are used to this with multi million pound pre 60's vehicles (and cheaper ones like mine!) would have no problem with it.

Simon
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Ok bear with me because being totally honest I haven’t read all the way through this thread (short attention span lol)
I wonder what will happen as in my case when an imported bike is first registered in the UK?
The procedure for my kettle was
1: insure the bike on the frame number
2: MOT the bike
3: apply for registration and send details of insurance, MOT and the filled in DVLA form (can’t remember the form number) and wait for shiny new reg number to arrive.
4: apply for my free historic vehicle tax.

With there being no need for the MOT as it is classed as a historic vehicle will the initial MOT be required?
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

I think that one will get the post office and DVLA people scratching their heads Paul! (Although presumably it's not that unusual)
The thing that triggers the tax and mot free bit is either the 1st registration date or the declared manufactured date - I'm guessing you can't easily do the first one without a V5 but it should be possible to prove the second.
I think if it were me I might avoid the hassle and just do it the old way and then apply for mot free status the following year...

Simon
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

swarrans wrote:I think that one will get the post office and DVLA people scratching their heads Paul! (Although presumably it's not that unusual)
The thing that triggers the tax and mot free bit is either the 1st registration date or the declared manufactured date - I'm guessing you can't easily do the first one without a V5 but it should be possible to prove the second.
I think if it were me I might avoid the hassle and just do it the old way and then apply for mot free status the following year...

Simon
Thanks Simon, that’s the way I was thinking of doing it. For the sake of £35 and an mot certificate I don’t think the saving is worth the hassle.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!