Tank cleaning

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Barracuda

Tank cleaning

Post by Barracuda »

Hi all, new member just to say hello before I begin, Username is Barracuda but prefer Cuda wouldn't let me put it when I joined said it was too short so had to lengthen it a tad, had bikes all my life like many of you. I've had a few GT's over the years the last one was a GT750 Kettle in Blue which I restored about 22 years ago currently on with a Yamaha FS1E which Kev has very kindly just sprayed the cosmetics for me on and done a hell of a job.

To my question, I have a friend who has just come across a 1970's Yamaha RS100 Torque Induction he's currently searching high and low for parts for it but the job at the moment is to clean out/de-rust the tank I'm led to believe Citric Acid is the thing to use if this is correct which type and where from please ... and if anyone knows of anyone who may have parts for one of these do please give me a shout, thanks
mizzytheman

Re: Tank cleaning

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi Cuda,

Welcome to the forum,

Just recently de-rusted the tank on my Z1300 and used this. 2KG should be more than enough.

Citric Acid 250g - 25Kg Best Grade Anhydrous Bath Bombs Home Brew https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0395458753
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Thanks for the welcome mizzytheman much appreciated and thanks for the link I've just passed this on so he can get on wi it ;)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Hi Cuda, you stalking me? ;) :lol:
Glad you're suited with the paint job for the fizzy tinware. Does a good job does our Kev doesn't he?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Ay up Cuda, its me with the rs100, small world eh :lol:

PS just bought some citric acid so fingers crossed
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Hi Alan, yeh I just don't hear enough from ya on t'other site so thought I'd follow you around fer abit see what yer up to :) Gary, even though I have looked in before the site was recommended to me so decided to join and ask about the Citric Acid treatment on your behalf good to hear you've got some that should do the trick nicely ;)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Citric acid crystals are good in a vibro cleaner, but don't do more than 15 minutes twice or the carbs will pit summat horrible. I tried on an old knackered one first fortunately.
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan H wrote:Hi Cuda, you stalking me? ;) :lol:
Glad you're suited with the paint job for the fizzy tinware. Does a good job does our Kev doesn't he?
The cheque's in the post Alan :P
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Another illegal immigrant? :roll:
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Not got a vibro cleaner so could use our lasses..............nah, skip that, water and electrics don't mix :lol: