Radiator

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

Radiator

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello Guys,
While the radiator is off I think it should be treated to an internal clean or flushing. Is there anything I can put in the rad to really clean inside?
Is caustic soda too strong? I have tried the hosepipe but nothing seems to come out, however looking in the various outlets it does seem a little corroded, and obviously this rubbish just goes round the system and causes havoc.
Also what paint should I use for the outside, ie top, bottom, sides?

RogerH.
canaletto5

Re: Radiator

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi Rog

The citric aid solution used to derust tanks will do the job as it eats limescale as well. 300g of coarse crystals in 5 litres of warm water will fill the radiator nicely. (once you have plugged the necessary holes !) Leave a couple of days, drain and flush out with plenty of clean warm water.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITRIC-ACID- ... 0505.m3226

Kev
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Yup, plus one on the citric acid crystals I did the rad on my kettle and it came up as clean as new. I also used it in the motor, the muck that came out after three days was unbelievable
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

Thanks for the information guys, I have ordered some citric acid.
Probably find the radiator leaks like a sieve once it's cleaned out!
RogerH.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Maybe a daft question but can this be one on the bike...ie drain the coolant, refill with warm water + citric acid, run the motor up to temp then leave for aa few hours/day or two then drain, flush with clean water and refil with coolant?
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I did mine off the bike and then back flushed it to clean all the loose crap before refitting it but I also gave the engine to the same treatment by blocking the bottom hose off then removed the thermostat housing and filled it up to the brim. I left it for two days and again back flushed it to remove the loose crap. It was amazing how much muck was in the motor and radiator.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!